Opteron 150 or x2 3800+ for gaming/ Ocing?

cre8chaos

[H]ard|Gawd
What is the better choice for me to go. I have a 939 mobo already and am finishing up my water chiller now so time to start getting the prosesser and misc. other parts bought. The price ($320) is the same on monarch for the 150 opty and the x2 3800+ so that is not a deciding factor. I will of course want to OC it for all it's worth :D All opinions considered and experience with either is greatly appreciated. I am not new to computers or Ocing but am new to both of these processers.

how long till your next upgrade? if more than a year or so, get dual core

I get the itch every 2 or 3 years. I just sold my 2.4 P4 system to get the funds for this build . So it will be way over a year I figure :(

Definitely dual core then ;). The 3800+ clocks decently. I had mine at 2.5Ghz on air without too much effort. The guy I sold it to hit 2.8Ghz with it with water. They are great chips for the price.

any advantage to the extra 80 bucks for the 4000? Or better to oc the 3800?

Sorry my bad, I was talking x2 also but I thought it was a 4000 instead it is a 4200x2 for the 80 bucks.

You'll likely get better overclocking results from the dual core Opteron. Many posters on this and other forums have been pushing the lower-end dual core Opterons to 2.6GHz and above with ease without aftermarket cooling.

cre8chaos said:
Sorry my bad, I was talking x2 also but I thought it was a 4000 instead it is a 4200x2 for the 80 bucks.

It depends on if you feel comfortable overclocking. You're paying $80 for 200mhz extra (and a higher multiplier). You can get 200mhz with very little effort by overclocking. I would imagine that an X2 3800+ you get today would run easily at 2.4Ghz with maybe a slight bump in voltage on the stock cooler.

Opteron 165 > both of them. It's also available at Monarch, for around the same price. Get it while you can.

cre8chaos said:
I get the itch every 2 or 3 years. I just sold my 2.4 P4 system to get the funds for this build . So it will be way over a year I figure :(
lol, I get the itch every 2 or 3 months :(

oh well, i'm extremely happy with my chip right now

LoL good point, I want and FX57 so bad, Funds boy funds :( !
Anywho, I have OCed since my 900 Tbird and have had a water cooling set up
on my 2.4 for a couple years so I am going to clock it for all its worth. Read my sig. I
am working on a water chilled set up now. That is what I am asking about the processor
for is that system.

Back