Opteron 165 to E8400 Impressions.

OptPrime

Limp Gawd
So I've been in overclockers retirement for a year or 2. I rolled from my winchester to my 165 opteron happily and pretty much stopped reading hardware forums and stopped caring about my machine for a while.

This last week I had the chance to move from my early (one of the first few steppings) 165 that was running at 2.4 to an e8400. This isn't my first experience with the c2duo line as I use one in my work pc. However, this is the first time I've been able to sit down and call it my own.

I haven't even begun to clock it yet but that will start soon. Initial impressions are impressive. This chip clearly has much more power and brute force then the opteron. The cache difference is noticeable and it's clearly snappier in games and desktop use. Overall I'm quite happy with the transition. This switch for me happend to be free as I was able to bump my opty down to a sibling and purchase new hardware with only 50 bucks out of pocket to me.

I think overall, If i would have had to front the 400 bucks to make the transition it would have not been worth it as my opteron was still allowing me to play games at close to my native res... but since it was a minimal cost upgrade, I'm pleased. I should add I wasn't going for balls to the wall hardware here... just a simple upgrade for the lowest amount of dollars that would net me a 4ghz proc.

Old hardware (lol @ how behind the times I was):
Opteron 165 @ 2.4 on Thermalright slk-900u
3GB of ddr 1
Asus a8n32 SLI Deluxe
palit 8800gt

New Hardware:
e8400 on Thermaltake Big Typhoon
4gb ocz cas 4 ddr2
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Palit 8800gt

p.s. No benchies because i don't belive in them.

pp.ss. this is my first post since my "project optprime" worklog went dead in teh case modding forums 2 years ago. Feels good to be back [H] :cool:

Yeah I noticed a very large jump in performance coming from an A64x2 @ 2.8GHz, the E8400 is a great chip.
It clocks well too, I'm currently at 4.13GHZ. It easily goes higher but thats the max I get at 1.4V.
Sadly the overclock isnt useful for nearly all the games out there but other things run very well.
Milkdrop visuals on Winamp benefit greatly.

Back