Opteron 165 = WOW Overclock Perforance!!

kirbyrj said:
Eclipse - What's that fan mounted to? The end of the screw for the block?
yup, easy to take out when i gotta mess with stuff, and cools all the needed parts in the area :cool:

kirbyrj said:
Is this prime stable?

Here's one I have from a couple of days ago, 2.8ghz at 1.3v. I don't have image for others, because I have not run SP2004 for them yet. But I can play COD 2 stable on them, so that is all that matters to me. :)

2800stock9ej.jpg

Bona Fide said:
Undervolt? Looks like you're overvolting ;)

Are you using a divider for the RAM? I'm thinking that with a divider, I'll get much better OC's.

Well 2.7ghz is definately undervolted. 3.0ghz and 2.9ghz, I am using the 150 divider. For 2.7ghz and 2.8ghz, I am using the 166 divider. I have the Crucial value, so they can not take too much mhz.

Does your system shuts down if you go beyond 1.65v? Mine shuts down if I go pass 1.595v for some reason.

Waterboy said:
Well 2.7ghz is definately undervolted. 3.0ghz and 2.9ghz, I am using the 150 divider. For 2.7ghz and 2.8ghz, I am using the 166 divider. I have the Crucial value, so they can not take too much mhz.

Does your system shuts down if you go beyond 1.65v? Mine shuts down if I go pass 1.595v for some reason.

Mine doesn't shut down, but I don't feel comfortable doing it. Strange that yours is shutting itself down. Is there a voltage cutoff in the BIOS that results in an automatic shutdown?

Waterboy said:

I wonder if the WC is making the difference. I get about 2.4Ghz with 1.3V (not that I'm complaining)....hmm...I might have to get that WC kit yet.

Bona Fide said:
Mine doesn't shut down, but I don't feel comfortable doing it. Strange that yours is shutting itself down. Is there a voltage cutoff in the BIOS that results in an automatic shutdown?

I have been trying to figure it out for a week now. I think if I can get the voltage to go higher, I may be able to get 3.1ghz to stablized.

kirbyrj said:
I wonder if the WC is making the difference. I get about 2.4Ghz with 1.3V (not that I'm complaining)....hmm...I might have to get that WC kit yet.

At this low of a voltage, I don't think you need water. If you can't get the overclock at the voltage that you are comfortable with, I don't know if water will help.
I ran SP2004 for another hour now at 2.7ghz undervolted to 1.25v and it is still going.

2700125v9hx.jpg

Undervolting...

Yes, I thought I had the ability to undervolt, because when I first got my Opty 170 I was surprised at how much less voltage it took to get to 2.8, the the x2 4400 that I once had. I first tried 2.66 at stock, then went all the way up to 2.7 and was surprised at how stable it was at that voltage. That was using the 166 divider.

Running 1:1 at high htt is a different story though. I run 2.8 at about 1.45-1.5 when I've got my system at 2800 (280htt, 1:1, DDR560 2.5,4,4,7)

The A64 architecture has got it's mem controller integrated, hence the need for greater volts to keep it stable when running memory at high frequencies. I dunno, but I find it strange that I can't do 1:1 at 280htt, at stock volts, but I'm able to do 2800 at 280htt at stock with a really clocked divider.

There's a rumor floating around that if anyone is running high Vmem with low Vcore at high frequencies that processor damage might occur. Dunno if that's true though... Saw it on xtremesystems forum.

I do stress the word RUMOR in the sentence before. No flames please.

Waterboy said:

How's your psu? Your rails are drooping a little even at 1.25vcore. You start pushing it up to 1.6vcore and watch that 12v rail drop like a rock!!
Not to mention the 6 hd's, 7800gtx, water pump, fans, optical drives,etc. I'd be willing to bet that if you got a better psu, your box wouldn't be shutting off @ 1.6vcore.

SpoogeMonkey said:
How's your psu? Your rails are drooping a little even at 1.25vcore. You start pushing it up to 1.6vcore and watch that 12v rail drop like a rock!!
Not to mention the 6 hd's, 7800gtx, water pump, fans, optical drives,etc. I'd be willing to bet that if you got a better psu, your box wouldn't be shutting off @ 1.6vcore.

I have the Enermax Noisetaker 600watts psu. I would think that that is enough.

Well, here is 2.7ghz at 1.25v. I am testing 2.6ghz at 1.2v right now. It's been priming for about 31 minutes.

I am scared now after reading that thread on Extreme. My vdimm is 2.8v now. So my Opty gonna die? It's kinda weird that I have to worry about killing my cpu due to low voltage.

2700125v7ei.jpg

Waterboy said:
I am scared now after reading that thread on Extreme. My vdimm is 2.8v now. So my Opty gonna die? It's kinda weird that I have to worry about killing my cpu due to low voltage.
no. i wouldn't worry about it until you go over ~3-3.2v, then you might want to start bumping up vcore. it might also just be a non-issue issue. we'll find out when more people do testing

(cf)Eclipse said:
no. i wouldn't worry about it until you go over ~3-3.2v, then you might want to start bumping up vcore. it might also just be a non-issue issue. we'll find out when more people do testing

That's good to know....thanks.
This Opty 170 is looking good at very low voltage. This is what I have running so far this evening:
2.6ghz at 1.20v --> Primed for about an hour, stopped to go to 2.5ghz.
2.5ghz at 1.15v --> Primed for about 30 minutes, stopped to go to 2.4ghz.
2.4ghz at 1.10v --> Gonna leave prime running over night.

Gonna see if I can take it all the way down to 1v.

I have lowered my LDT to 1.2v, Chipset to 1.5v, and DRAM to 2.6v. The VTT delta is under the suggested voltage of 0.3v, so if they are correct over at Xtreme, I should be ok with these low voltages.

my opteron 170 retail frrom mwave will be here thursday. hopefully i'll get a 0530 like the last couple of people to order from there, i'll post results as soon as i have them.

Hey, maybe there is something to this undervolting. I tried it out, and here are my results.

[All done with a 9/10 divider on the RAM]

1.20V | 2600MHz
1.25V | 2750MHz
1.30V | 2800MHz
1.35V | 2860MHz

So really, all I needed was a divider to get my Opty to 2.8GHz on stock volts. :D

holy hell those are some serious friggin overclocks! i think the 170 might give me just what i wanted.

Bona Fide said:
Hey, maybe there is something to this undervolting. I tried it out, and here are my results.

1.20V | 2600MHz
1.25V | 2750MHz
1.30V | 2800MHz
1.35V | 2860MHz

So really, all I needed was a divider to get my Opty to 2.8GHz on stock volts. :D

It looks like the 170 really is a better chip than the 165. I don't think I could touch any of those numbers. 1.5V needed for 2.7Ghz. I'll play around with it some more though. Might be able to figure something out ;).

My 170s had great results so far and I haven't even had to touch the voltage yet (I can easily post at 2.7 even with my old ram), but my old RAM is my problem - 4x512 MB of XMS3200... I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about that... I may try to ultra-volt it and see what I can pull out, but even with dividers it's faltering... it's almost like it fails when I slow it down too much. Anyone have any tips?

Bona Fide said:

1.20V | 2600MHz
1.25V | 2750MHz
1.30V | 2800MHz
1.35V | 2860MHz

Cool!!...I love this Opty along with the DFI board. What I do is save the settings in the CMOS Reloaded for 3.0ghz, 2.9ghz, 2.8ghz, and 2.4ghz.
When I am gaming or doing something that requires real MHZ, I'll use the 3ghz setting. Otherwise, 2.4ghz for web browsing.
At 2.4ghz, the vcore only needed to be 1.10v. Although it failed SP2004 in like 10 minutes, it is perfectly find for browsing the web.

Waterboy said:
Cool!!...I love this Opty along with the DFI board. What I do is save the settings in the CMOS Reloaded for 3.0ghz, 2.9ghz, 2.8ghz, and 2.4ghz.
When I am gaming or doing something that requires real MHZ, I'll use the 3ghz setting. Otherwise, 2.4ghz for web browsing.
At 2.4ghz, the vcore only needed to be 1.10v. Although it failed SP2004 in like 10 minutes, it is perfectly find for browsing the web.

1.10V??? :eek:

That sounds like a good idea...but I'll only need two settings. 2.8 and 2.0. I wonder how low I can go at stock speeds and still maintain stability? :D

ah, the coolness that is the E6 revision. for some reason, the transistors in E6 are really.. low voltage happy.

Bona Fide said:
1.10V??? :eek:

That sounds like a good idea...but I'll only need two settings. 2.8 and 2.0. I wonder how low I can go at stock speeds and still maintain stability? :D

Hey Bona Fide, check this out! 2.2ghz @ 1.06v. :D
I'm getting close to my 1.0v goal.

2200106v3pn.jpg

ajsdlkjsalkdjas

Must...do...more...testing...tonight.

I'll be happy if I can get 2.0GHz under 1V. How hot would that be? :D

Bona Fide said:
ajsdlkjsalkdjas

Must...do...more...testing...tonight.

I'll be happy if I can get 2.0GHz under 1V. How hot would that be? :D

This is close enough I think....2gh @ 1.01v

2000101v0cn.jpg

2ghz at 1.01v seems pretty stable for me for now. Any lower and it needed a CMOS reset.
I think I am done playing with this Opty now. Gotta reinstall Windows and get ready for my LAN Party this weekend.

2000101v2ue.jpg

Back