Opteron 170 CCBWE 0546SPMW

hero123

Weaksauce
Anyone got any information on this stepping? Whats its potential? etc,

I heard the later weeks of dual core optys are not expected to overclock too well..Yours is a 0546 which is much later than the really good overclockers like the 0530s....
Then again, it never hurts to try and see how far that will go...

the 0543 is almost as good as the 0530, so you never know, it could be gold... never seen results on an 0546 yet any where

it seems that i my cpu0 is my weaker core, i have my opty 170 @ 2.56ghz (9x 285fsb), if i use 10x multi on any fsb higher than 240 it will fail to post, got no idea why, i am atm cpu-burning cpu0, heard that it might help improve the core over prolonged burning of a core. my vcore voltages are @ 1.375 (0.25 higher than stock), i am running off the stock cooler, idle at about 26 degrees C, and load both core 40 degrees celcius. im not sure whats the problem, but its weird, cannot use my 10x multi, and atm, this is my most stable clock. anyone got any idea or solutions in helping me to make some better clocks? my system is not exactly complete, im gonna put the watercooling in soon, and i await my 512 GTX, im currently using my friends 7800GTX with artic silencer.

the rest of my system is

DFI SLi-DR eXpert
Geil ONE series 285mhz @ 2.5 4 4 7
Antec neoHE 550W

my goal is to reach 3ghz mark, anyone think i can reach it on safe settings and for everyday use?

thanks.

3ghz on dual core might be a bit of a stretch - even on water.. a more realisitc goal might be 2.7~2.8ghz unless you have a real jewel of a cpu..

once the vcore gets up there the heat increases FAST !! i am currently running 2.75ghz and my vcore is 1.58 and on high end water my cpu can reach 48c (fans on low).

that is on an opty 170 - the extra L2 cache increases the heat significantly!!

hero123 said:
it seems that i my cpu0 is my weaker core, i have my opty 170 @ 2.56ghz (9x 285fsb), if i use 10x multi on any fsb higher than 240 it will fail to post, got no idea why, i am atm cpu-burning cpu0, heard that it might help improve the core over prolonged burning of a core. my vcore voltages are @ 1.375 (0.25 higher than stock), i am running off the stock cooler, idle at about 26 degrees C, and load both core 40 degrees celcius. im not sure whats the problem, but its weird, cannot use my 10x multi, and atm, this is my most stable clock. anyone got any idea or solutions in helping me to make some better clocks? my system is not exactly complete, im gonna put the watercooling in soon, and i await my 512 GTX, im currently using my friends 7800GTX with artic silencer.

the rest of my system is

DFI SLi-DR eXpert
Antec neoHE 550W

my goal is to reach 3ghz mark, anyone think i can reach it on safe settings and for everyday use?

thanks.

You may need more than 1.375 volts to reach the higher speeds. You should have no problems as high as 1.50V on stock cooling. I run my 165 dual core on the stock HSF at 1.45 without issue.

Raise the voltage to 1.45V, and then keep going with the bus speed. I would recommend using the 10x multiplier just for the sake of ease of calculation.

I thought the opteron cpu multipliers were locked the 170 should be locked at 10x and the 165 are locked at 9x and the 175 is locked at 11x, at least that was my understanding.

right?

zbuddah said:
I thought the opteron cpu multipliers were locked the 170 should be locked at 10x and the 165 are locked at 9x and the 175 is locked at 11x, at least that was my understanding.

right?
yup, btw, where do i get the dualcore prime?

zbuddah said:

right?
they're locked up but not down.
on my 165 it's locked at 9x up but I could drop it to 8,7,6 whatever all the way down to 4x

hero123 said:
it seems that i my cpu0 is my weaker core, i have my opty 170 @ 2.56ghz (9x 285fsb)......
....the rest of my system is
DFI SLi-DR eXpert
Antec neoHE 550W
.. run a ram divider... raise your vcore to 1.45 or so
hero123 said:
my vcore voltages are @ 1.375 (0.25 higher than stock)
you mean .025

i just got same cpu

OSA170DAA6CD
CCBWE 0546SPMW

will let ya know how it goes

Phadeout said:
the 0543 is almost as good as the 0530, so you never know, it could be gold... never seen results on an 0546 yet any where

Now, the XPMW code is the batch run code, the first CPU's in a batch typically OC better, wo a BPMW would OC better than an XPMW. But thats just the theory I read ...no one is for sure.

sorry dude, but i've got an 0530 with a water cooling rig and i can't get over 2.8, you won't hit 3ghz lol

Elysian said:
sorry dude, but i've got an 0530 with a water cooling rig and i can't get over 2.8, you won't hit 3ghz lol
same here. just my batch/week different, but i have my opty @ 2.8

same - im at 2.75ghz on an opty 170 and to go any higher would put me over 1.6vcore and my heat on water is high enough as is!!!

Back