Opteron or X2?

J-M-E

[H]ard|Gawd
Im thinking of switching out my 4000+ San Diego with a dual core.

I want the best I can get for a reasonable price.

What would be the fastest for say $500?

I plan to overclock it on liquid as much as I can

Which will give better overclocks?

The Opterons seem to be what people are having the best luck with. With that said, the main reason to go S939 Opteron is because they are usually quite a bit cheaper than the comparable X2's.

Why not an X2 4400+ instead of an opty 175?

Also going from a fast single core to almost as fast dual core..what sort of improvements would I see?

J-M-E said:
Also going from a fast single core to almost as fast dual core..what sort of improvements would I see?

Since you have a sweet ass vid card, the dual core does take advantage of NV's multithreaded drivers. It's a free speed boost!

As to gaming and anything else, it depends on what you do...if you multitask even moderately...the X2 will shine. If you do ANY encoding of video or audio...the X2 will flat out own a single core....

There are games coming out soon that will be multithreaded as well, and alot sooner than most people think....

Dual core is the only way I will be flying now....I could never go back, it is that nice.

Ok I decided im going to sell my AMD 4000+ Sandy, but for what...hmm..

What is the highest clocking dual core amd out there? Im assuming the opty 175? If so, thats the one im buying

Ill get it from dave on the forums for $455 :D

TSS Modder said:

$466*

wait thats TRAY. Whats "TRAY" and "BOX" ?

Arg so many opterons, which one is teh best :confused:

What kind of overclocks are people hitting on 4400+'s?
and what kind of overclocks are they hitting on 175's? What about 180's :eek: ?

i'd go for the opteron 170... won't kill your wallet so much, and still a potent overclocker... either one you get chances are would overclock about the same, so why spend extra? if you can get an 0530 or 0534 170 you are set.

Elysian said:
i'd go for the opteron 170... won't kill your wallet so much, and still a potent overclocker... either one you get chances are would overclock about the same, so why spend extra? if you can get an 0530 or 0534 170 you are set.

How do I tell if I get a 0530 or 0534? What do those numbers mean?

And wouldnt the 175 have a better chance of overclocking higher because of its 200mhz head start?

J-M-E said:
How do I tell if I get a 0530 or 0534? What do those numbers mean?

And wouldnt the 175 have a better chance of overclocking higher because of its 200mhz head start?
the 0530 and 0534 are the week, it can act as an indicator of how well the chip *MIGHT* overclock, if you have results from others with the same week's... there are a lot of 0530's hitting 2.8ghz or so...

and no, a 200 mhz head start means nothing, they are still both based off the same core/rev/etc, so far i've only seen opteron dual cores that are CCBWE...

and when buying a processor, its a crap shoot which week you get, unless you order from dave, because he is very up front about what week's he has, so you can get the one you want if he has it.

Elysian said:
the 0530 and 0534 are the week, it can act as an indicator of how well the chip *MIGHT* overclock, if you have results from others with the same week's... there are a lot of 0530's hitting 2.8ghz or so...

and no, a 200 mhz head start means nothing, they are still both based off the same core/rev/etc, so far i've only seen opteron dual cores that are CCBWE...

and when buying a processor, its a crap shoot which week you get, unless you order from dave, because he is very up front about what week's he has, so you can get the one you want if he has it.

Cool :D

I plan to order from dave :)

I dont see how the 200mhz head start cant mean anything though? :(

J-M-E said:
I dont see how the 200mhz head start cant mean anything though? :(
an OC isn't a sure thing, by buying a faster cpu, you're sure you will at least get rated speeds ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
an OC isn't a sure thing, by buying a faster cpu, you're sure you will at least get rated speeds ;)

Yea I think im going to go with the 175, unless you think the 4400+ would be better?

Just curious, how will this compare to my 4000+ Single Core in gaming\overclocking?

it's kinda hard to compare, because it depends on the games you'll be playing and how good of a chip you get when it comes to oc'ing ;)

I am going to order the parts for my new system next week, and i was going to use the AMD 64 X2 3800+ on the asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard socket 939, but it does not say that it supports opteron, and most opterons are socket940. are there socket939 ones? (opterons that is), and would the 175 work in this MB. I know there are no garruntees, but would like to hear opinions on this. thanks

i know of someone with a opteron 175 0541 that is only hitting 2.6ghz on 1.55v... pretty lame oc, hell my x2 3800+ got that...

Elysian said:
i know of someone with a opteron 175 0541 that is only hitting 2.6ghz on 1.55v... pretty lame oc, hell my x2 3800+ got that...

That is not a crap overclock for either of those cpu's....ANYTHING over it's rated speed is a bonus, not a guarantee....

ok, eclipse answered my question about socket 939/940. But what about motherboard compatibility? I was checking newegg, and club it, and they only came up with one motherboard that listed itself as opteron compatible. any info is helpfull. thanks again

any s939 board that supports the revE cpu's will support the s939 opterons. i have yet to see a board that won't run with an opteron

i would go with a dfi nf4 ultra-d myself ;)

that is a nice board alright, but it is too big, I am building a SFF, and i need it to be smaller (Micro-atx), also, I will not be able to get the video card for a few weeks (got to save enough for a 7800GTX) :) so I also will need the onboard video, thanks for the reccomendation tho :D

ah, i see. the other side of that then.. not a whole lot of m-atx boards are good oc'ers :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
any s939 board that supports the revE cpu's will support the s939 opterons. i have yet to see a board that won't run with an opteron

i would go with a dfi nf4 ultra-d myself ;)

Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe is what I'd recommend.

TheRapture said:
That is not a crap overclock for either of those cpu's....ANYTHING over it's rated speed is a bonus, not a guarantee....
i was pretty disappointed with the oc on my x2. 2.6ghz at 1.6v is not what i call a good oc

for an X2, 2.6ghz isn't bad. remember that the lastest batch of venice's seem to be doing like 2.4-2.6ghz, and they're single core.

(cf)Eclipse said:
for an X2, 2.6ghz isn't bad. remember that the lastest batch of venice's seem to be doing like 2.4-2.6ghz, and they're single core.
yeah, thats why i was glad my venice was an 0517 lol... and my opty 170 is a 0530, hopefully it gets here friday or saturday, but i'm really expecting monday

Elysian said:
yeah, thats why i was glad my venice was an 0517 lol... and my opty 170 is a 0530, hopefully it gets here friday or saturday, but i'm really expecting monday

should get there today, mate (tomorrow at the latest).

dave

dave_graham said:
should get there today, mate (tomorrow at the latest).

dave

yes, i got it today, thanks a lot man, now i gotta figure out how to get it out of its packaging ;)

Back