Optical Audio input issues

GaleForce

Gawd
I recently posted up a thread about connecting my Xbox 360 to my PC via Shuttle's SN25P motherboard which has an optical in as well as out port. I'm using Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers and my ultimate goal is to get 5.1 sound out of my xbox. I finally got an optical cable and hooked everything up, leaving the xbox on digital stereo settings. After tweaking the envy audio controls to digital in I was immediately able to run 2.1 audio off of the Klipsch speakers.

However I can't get 5.1 to work. In my console's settings when I activate digital 5.1 all that comes out of my speakers are a clicking, buzzing, white noise. Put the console back onto stereo and I get pristine 2.1. So I guess my question is if envy audio products lack the capability to playback 5.1 sound through the optical in. My only options are "Signal Locked" for which I can choose internal or external clock. Then a bubble list, "S/PDIF in Monitor Control," gives me the options of "No S/PDIF in Monitor," "Loop back S/PDIF in to Front Speaker," "Loop Back S/PDIF in to 7 and 8 channel," and "Loop back S/PDIF in to S/PDIF out." I'm guessing if I had digital speakers the latter choice would have a better shot at working, but I'm stuck looping it through the front speakers as none of the other options produce any type of sound.

Is this a restraint in the software (playback only lists front speakers when in digital in mode) or is this issue due to the fact that the Promedia Ultras are analog speakers? If this is a software issue, is there any software out there that can decode the incoming digital signal and just play it on my computer normally? Thanks a lot for any help.

Back