Optiplex gx280 Will Not Boot

KillaChaos

Limp Gawd
My sister got this computer from only God knows where but most likely a department of health (their stickers are still on). Yesterday night she got it working it was windows xp pro sp1 just reformatted (by the people she got it from). It worked but then it went to sleep, and hasn't woke up since. I would spend more time trying to find a solution, but I don't have a lot of it. Basically now, (after removing plugs), when you turn it on the computer sleeps (the light goes from green to blinking amber.)

Any solutions?

Nevermind, did a couple tests and it all seems to point to the PSU or motherboard. Motherboard looks okay (no blown capictors) and I have a good guess its the PSU. Does anyone suggest how I would go about changing these. The stock is only 280w and its oddly shaped. Can't belive it would go out in one day.

Edit : checked battery.
Can't get the battery out.

From what I can see, they use standard ATX PSUs (at least my GX280's do, lol). I have about a dozen of these, and several have had their PSUs go out (2 or 3). I have gold support with dell, so they typically send a new one, and I install it the next morning -- easier than waiting for the tech to get here. A standard Thermaltake TR2 420W would work fine, assuming you don't have a power hungry Quadro/GeForce or FireGL/Radeon card in there.

I only took a quick look at it and saw a metal case stretched over the left side, and assumed that was the PSU. I will look at it again.

Back