Original G15 is going out. Suggest a replacement.

Williamea

Limp Gawd
I have the original G15(Blue) and the back light/LEDs on part of the keyboard are going out. Very dim in some areas and flickers. What we be a good replacement? I do like the LCD screen. I use it for showing PC stats and controlling my music when playing games. I do not use the programmable keys that often.

Thanks

You could just go for an updated version of the G15 with a G19 or, for less money, a G510.

My computer got a little too much juice during a thunderstorm (It woke me up. Just a few more seconds and I'd have unplugged everything!) It fried much of my machine, and half the LEDs that act as backlight on my G15. Once I replaced the fried computer components, I picked up some green LEDs and some resistors and fixed it. I even replaced the working blue ones, now it's all green. The G15's a bear to disassemble & reassemble, but if you have some soldering experience, you can replace the LEDs.

Be very careful around the LCD display. The ribbon cable it connects to the motherboard with is VERY prone to ripping, and I had to grow* a couple extra, very tiny hands to put it back in once I unplugged it. It's challenging, but if you're getting rid of it anyway. . .

*Wish I could have. Instead I used needlenosed pliers & tweezers. It was like the worst game of Operation ever.

I would buy a new keyboard as the above people have suggested.

The board you have is a rubber dome keyboard, and I'm sure after all these years the keys aren't performing as they once use to.

Go to a local store and see if you can test out the above boards for how they feel to you...and then decide.

If you can live without the LCD, you could always try a mechanical keyboard also.

Last edited:
I actually returned 2 mechanical keyboards and kept my g15. I'd love a mechanical but the key spacing is too off to be comfy for me.

what i did for the g15 is i got 2 of those flexible led strips, ran them to a molex and ran that molex line along the keyboard cable and into the back of the pc to a molex connector. on the inside of the g15 i wrapped them around the clear piece that is usually lit by the leds inside the g15 (i just unplugged those)

i also took the time to put some dry lube on each of the keycaps to make them slide with less resistance.

that said if you don't wanna do some modding, just ebay a new g15 or look into the g19
the g510 doesn't feel as good IMO and i had a hell of the time with it's spacebar for some reason.

Why do you need LEDs? To me, it's not broken, so I wouldn't fix anything.

I still have my G15, and even repaired it when I spilled a drink.

Back