Orlando FL Folders: Anyone tried this place?

CaptRingold

Limp Gawd
http://www.orlandolancenter.com/

I've heard a decent thing or two about them as far as LANs go, but I was of a mind to head over and see if I couldn't talk to management and see if they'd let me borg a little. I'd think the on-campus (UCF) location opening in the fall would be receptive, at least a little, to the idea.

Anybody already beat me to it?

If not, is there an Idiots Guide to Borging Others Computers full of sales pitches? ;)

I can't get their specs link to work for their new systems, but if they've got an X850, possibly meaning X850XT?, in it then I assume its probably got 1gb of RAM and a decent processor backing it up as well. Those will probably be the ones in the new UCF location, and getting 10 - 30 of those folding for team 33... especially if, as I suspect, they're on nearly 24-7...

:cool:

edit: only reason I think I'd have any success is because I already talk to some businesses about working with charity, just on a entirely different sort of issue, and I'd think the university location would have like-minded individuals there as well

Sounds good. Must...Fold... Good luck if you deceide to go and ask them

I'll tell you right now that borging someone else's computers is going to be damn near impossible unless you have an in with them. A gaming center is not likely to risk their CPU time in any way, so my guess is that the screen saver version or a scheduled task that starts after X minutes of idle time would be the only options they might go for. Your odds would probably be better if you tried to get them to sign up under their own name and join Team 33 instead of trying to borg with your name, but unless you get in touch with the right person, this will probably be a tough sell no matter what.

I'll be spending a lot of time around whoever runs the on-campus location, so I'll build that bridge up before trying to tip-toe across it. I wouldn't mind if they did it under their own name, as long as it was for team 33 I'd feel accomplished.

That one wont open till the fall in a couple months. if they use the local students it'll be relatively easy compared to the other locations, which is my hope, since i'll know some of them already.

Worth my trying anyway, depending on how idle they are it could be 2000 - 6000 ppd, or so I guess; I only fold with AMD, so no idea how 2.8ghz P4s do. That'd be a nice little shift in favor of team 33 against the Aussies

That sounds like a pretty good plan. Hopefully you can get in touch with someone who'll try it out just to see what it is and at that point they'll realize that it's not hurting anything and just leave it on. These types of recruitment campaigns or borgs are pretty rare (successes, not attempts), so you'll get a big round of applause from everyone here if you can get them involved. Good luck!

Back