OS 9 and WHS

speedrat

Limp Gawd
Just a general question from a Windows user. I setup Windows Home Server with numerous PC's. Got ready to tackle the wife's imac running OS 9 with much trepidation, I might add. However, my wife sat down, clicked on connect to and the Mac saw the server and connected without issue. So kudos to Macdom! Anyway here's the question.

How did her Mac know that it was a server? It didn't show any other systems on the segment (all windows clients) and it pulled it up by name. What is it using to enumerate that information?

Well, it'd help if your thread was properly titled- Tiger is OS 10.4...light years different and better (IMO) than OS 9.

As far as why imac picked up the server so easily- you probably have whatever the daemon is that looks for network shares in OS X to thank (not really an area of expertise for me).

Well, it'd help if your thread was properly titled- Tiger is OS 10.4...light years different and better (IMO) than OS 9.

As far as why imac picked up the server so easily- you probably have whatever the daemon is that looks for network shares in OS X to thank (not really an area of expertise for me).

I took out Tiger as it was OS 9. That is why I said (I think). :)

Hmm..

does Windows Home Server have Apple File Sharing enabled by default?

No, Windows doesn't. But OS X understands Windows servers just fine so they get along quite nicely.

Back