Out of the loop (A little)

galdoes16

Gawd
I've been out of the loop for about a year, and my old pc is biting the dust slowly, so it's time to upgrade.

I need a new Mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD, I have a case and PSU.

Preferably under $1000, with an OS included.

I have picked out the following:
CPU: Q6600
RAM: the $45 2gb kit at newegg, two of these.
GPU: EVGA 9600GT
MOBO: Not sure on this, would like to OC a little.
HDD: 500gb preferably.

I would like some suggestions on the motherboard if possible.
Thank you in advance.

First off go with a evga 8800gt. go with a g.skill 2x2gb of ram. A gigabyte p35-ds3l board if ur not doing raid. If you are doing raid get a dfi blood iron. Q6600 FTW

$243-Q6600 2.4Ghz G0 SLACR
$90-G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB)
$120-Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB
$85-Cooler Master 690
*the other $80 deals have $15 shipping while this one free shipping
$33-LITE-ON Black SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe
$88-Corsair VX 550W ATX Power Supply
$105-Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium
$180-EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR GeForce 9600GT Superclocked 512MB
*try find one thats not overclock and then overclock it yourself to save some bucks
$89-GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L rev. 2.0
$50-$10MIR-ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm
=$1083 without shipping; rebates not included either.

*for all the stuff you said you want and the things you plan to do, you may have to go slighty over budget, but it'll be worth it. youll be able to oc well with the nirvana :D
*if you dont plan to overclock now or ever, dont get the nirvana heatsinkfan yet to lower entire cost. if you have a mircocenter near you, you can get the q6600 for $200.you could lower harddrive space to lower cost also. if you could find a evga non overclocked 9600gt get that or just go with a non overclock from another brand to shed some money. you could get the 450vx but you'll be on the edge so i would stay with the 550vx.

well I personally do not know how anyone can give you a reccomendation on the limited info you have provided.

Can you please tell us the following:

1) top 3 uses for machine?
2) If gaming what games?
3) what type of monitor and what resolutions would you like to run at?

Cheers! :D

well I personally do not know how anyone can give you a reccomendation on the limited info you have provided.

well i used the parts he/she said he/she wanted put it into the budget he/she had and with the rest of the money used it on the remaining parts. kind of simple really :D

just because they listed products doesn't mean thats what they are getting. Thats why they make posts. He asked for input but hasnt told anyone else why he is picking those parts. If all he wants to do is game then the quad is usually a waste of money, for example.

Thats all I was trying to get at. Some additional info would be helpful to get the most out of teh community. :)

I will repeat, I do not need a PSU (Have a PCP&C 850w), Case (V1200b), or KB/Mouse. Although I am seriously considering getting an Antec 900 case, and using my current setup as a file server.

I'm pretty much was unsure on the Mobo, as I'm coming from the AMD side of things. I would like to get to 2.8 to 3.2 Ghz on the Quad. Nothing too extreme, I might just end up deciding against OC'ing this rig to save some money on the mobo, but I do want the q6600 for sure.

If you look at my signature, you will see what I built 2 years ago, and it's time for new stuff.

Also, what I plan to do: Gaming, heavy wacom design, some folding for the [H]orde, and some video encoding. On a 1440x900 res.Games will include Crysis (Of course), COD4, HL2, WoW, and many others.

I really appreciate any help I can get for the mobo and GPU.

just buy the $90 p35 motherboard and nirvana heatsink fan and oc the crud out of the q6600. if yo;u look at the reviews for the heatsink fan.. theres ppl that oc the q6600 to 3.6ghz and theres ppl that oc the e8400 to 4gz (3gz stock).

be aware that the antec 900 can be pain in butt over cable management. if you have the money go with the 8800gts G92 512mb. you wont be dissappointed. if you cant get that then get either of these: 8800gt, 9600gt, hd3850

I will repeat, I do not need a PSU (Have a PCP&C 850w), Case (V1200b), or KB/Mouse. Although I am seriously considering getting an Antec 900 case, and using my current setup as a file server.

Any reason why you're considering the Antec 900? The V1200B is an excellent case and is far superior to the Antec 900 in terms of quality and performance.

Anyway, the 9600GT is a good choice for that 1440x900 resolution. Though if you can spare the cash, get the 8800GT just in case you buy a bigger monitor in the future.

As for motherboard recommendations, here's a few:
Abit IP35-E Intel P35 Motherboard - $90
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35 Motherboard - $90
MSI P35 Neo2-FR Intel P35 ATX Motherboard - $119
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R Intel P35 Motherboard - $125
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Intel P35 Motherboard - $151
Abit IP35 Pro Intel P35 Motherboard - $170
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 Intel P35 Motherboard - $176
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 Motherboard - $200

Just to help you out: If you don't need RAID, more than 4 SATA ports or legacy ports, then the DS3L is a good choice. If you need 5 SATA ports, 2 eSATA ports, and a second PCI-E x16 port, then get the Neo2-Fr. If you want 8 SATA ports, RAID, and legacy ports and high overclocks, than the DS3R is a good choice. If you want the DS3R but need Firewire, then go for the DS3P. If you want something that can overclock pretty damn high along with eSATA ports and firewire connections, than the IP35 Pro. Note that the IP35-Pro seems to have problems with the Wolfdales CPUs

The reason for a new case, is I'm planning on converting my current pc to a server, and the 1200 has alot of spaces to put HDD's.

Back