Outdoor directional wireless

gigabyte1024

[H]ard|Gawd
I really despise wireless for the security implications, however I think it’ll be cheaper than running fiber. This will be for security cameras to communicate back to a DVR.

I have three buildings, one office and two shop areas. The DVR will be in the office and the cameras will be in the two shop areas. The antennas will have to be mounted on the roof and/or side of the buildings, but I want directional (line of sight?) antennas to prevent anyone else from trying to get on this wireless network. Basically I want the signals to be as narrow as possible and only go where I point them.

I’ve done several home/office wireless networks but my exposure to outdoor networks is limited and I’ve never dealt with directional wireless.

Where do you guys buy outdoor wireless equipment?
Does this limited directional wireless exist?
Where can I find more information to avoid common mistakes?

I really despise wireless for the security implications, however I think it’ll be cheaper than running fiber. This will be for security cameras to communicate back to a DVR.

I have three buildings, one office and two shop areas. The DVR will be in the office and the cameras will be in the two shop areas. The antennas will have to be mounted on the roof and/or side of the buildings, but I want directional (line of sight?) antennas to prevent anyone else from trying to get on this wireless network. Basically I want the signals to be as narrow as possible and only go where I point them.

I’ve done several home/office wireless networks but my exposure to outdoor networks is limited and I’ve never dealt with directional wireless.

Where do you guys buy outdoor wireless equipment?
Does this limited directional wireless exist?
Where can I find more information to avoid common mistakes?

I buy from both FAB-Corp and Hyperlink Technology If your purchase is under $100 with Hyperlink you need to buy it from Sharper concepts (Their non business customer site)

Quite frankly I see allot of people spending time trying to keep their signal minimal, but it's basically a waste of time, when anyone can go out and get a 24dB gain antenna for $60.
The last install I did was a 12 DB Omni at the "main" building with 14 DB Backfire at 2 of the other buildings.

How far does this have to go ?

I don't know of any good sites that tell you what to avoid, but I'll add my 2 cents.
-DONT use WEP!
-At minimum utilize a long passkey with WPA.
-Use the thickest cable (LMR400) you can between the AP and antenna if it is longer than 3 feet.
- If the cable go's from outside to inside create a "drip loop" on both sides of the wall. This helps prevents water from running down the cable and through the wall.
- Look for interference. Both physical and wireless (Microwaves, Cordless phones, Walls, Metal Buildings, Trees) Wi-Spy's are $200, but if you want to see what a mess you have in the 2.4Ghz range they are very useful.
- Utilize Lightning suppressors
- Make sure the equipment is protected by surge suppression and preferably UPS as well.

I believe "parabolic" antennas are very directional. You might want to look in to one of them

I would be very wary of using wireless for any key services. CCTV is, in my mind, a service you want 24/7 365 and for me Wireless is not the answer here.

If you can, run cable.

I would be very wary of using wireless for any key services. CCTV is, in my mind, a service you want 24/7 365 and for me Wireless is not the answer here.

If you can, run cable.

If you are willing to have a monitoring system that monitors the link 24/7, have it page you when it go's down and address it in a timley manner, then you are ok. I have been paged probably 3-4 times (Over a 6 year time period) from our laser link going down at 2am.

Sometimes you dont have a choice, but I agree if you do have a choice it should be cable, and while your running it run more than 1!

Back