GodsMadClown

2[H]4U
Outpost.com
Search for WD2500JBRTL,
$154.99. - $55 mail-in rebate = $99.99,
Shipping starts around $5.
Limit two per household. Rebate ends October 5

[cribbed from dealnews.com]

Western Digital drives suck. I just had to repalce 2 WD's in 2 seperate machines bought from dell about 6 months ago. Both WD drives died within a week of each other. Lost all the data on them. I'll never buy another WD again!!!

I just bought one. $100 bucks is pretty damn good.

Total was $120 after rebates. Still good.

I use WD drives 95% of the time.

I like um.

The only bad things I know about WD drives and it may not be them is that the serial ATA data connector is really REALLY easy to breake. Don't talk about the raptors around a friend of mine.

Anyway WD drives are fine if you ask me. I bought one a while ago OEM and its now running in a box in my closet in a server capacity, it never spends down and runs for months at a time. I'm not even running it correctly, those drives (actually its 2 of them) get so hot that they get too hot to touch, I know this should cause disk warpage but they still function just fine.

Yeah, I've used Western Digital hard drives in my last 5 computers, with the exception of this one which has a samsung (because i'm 17 and it was cheaper), and a maxtor. Maybe you should just not buy a dell and build your own computer. Fuck Dell. ;)

I didn't buy Dell, a friend of mine bouget 2 dells for her twin sons at the same time. Nevertheless, they were WD drives and they did fail physically & mechanically within a week of each other. I've had or dealt with, personally and in business ( I'm a computer tech) over 150 WD hard drives. Every single one had to be sent in for warranty replacement. Of those 150 replacements, over 80 had to be replaced again because they failed within 90 days. I can't afford to lose data and my clients sure as hell can't either. So I don't reccommend them. I find Maxtor to be the best (never had one fail in over 200 of them due to a maunfacturing or engineering defect) and seagate to be a nice runner up.

Viper said:
Western Digital drives suck.
Maybe from your experiences, but on the whole they are wonderful drives. Computer components are delicate and the percentage error on manufacturing isn't very elastic. You may have just happened to get a few faulty drives.

Edit: Didn't read the previous post about the 150 WD drives. Nonetheless, WD prolly had a bad batch of drives. You also have to consider the retailer's handling of the units, and then the shipping company where applicable.

Well it wasn't a "bad batch". I'm talking drives from 2gb to 60gb, OEM and retail. Nevertheless, I'd rather just toss my money down the crapper than spend it on another WD. At least Dell had the good sense to replace those two dead drives with Maxtors! That should tell you something there.

Yeah, it tells you that Maxtor was the low bidder that week....

Be it WD, Maxtor, or anyone else, when you buy their low end POS models, expect to get when you pay for. When you buy the top end models, however, you can expect top end quality.

I've heard people complain about so many companies that sell 'crappy hardware that is just going to fail anyway' when the problem is just that they're not willing to ante up and buy the quality line models. Now, if you told me that you were having problems will drives from 120gig and up, all top end models, then we'd have something to consider, but 2-60gig, unless we're talking about a long time ago (where as it doesn't matter anyway) isn't exactly where I consider the quality merchandise to reside.

I too work as a tech, and I will confidently say that drives, regardless of make, fail on equal terms, though one of my co-workers will swear to you that Maxtor is 'Satans Brand' after losing quite a bit of data to drive losses. The cheap stuff that these computers come with is exactly that, cheap stuff. You couldn't pay me to run one of them in my home machine, but due to business politics, we don't have a choice in the office.

The only thing preventing me from picking up 2 of these right now is the fact that I'm strapped for cash until after the rebate expires. Some days I swear OutPost.com keeps a copy of my pay schedule on hand and refers to it when planning rebate date ranges, even if just to taunt me.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree that WD are finicky. I've owned 6 WD that all either had to be sent back under warranty or, worse, started developing fatal mechanical problems soon after the warranty went out. I actually currently have one in for RMA with another that has developed the death rattle "click" sound in another machine (SMART says the drive is fine for some reason). I generally stay away from Maxtors because the few that I've encountered or owned often had problems also. I have started using Samsung in everything I build or replace now and I haven't had the slightest problem with them, even with one of them being put through an accidental mechanical and electrical battle. This has just been my experience, though.

bigstusexy said:
The only bad things I know about WD drives and it may not be them is that the serial ATA data connector is really REALLY easy to breake. Don't talk about the raptors around a friend of mine.
Mine came with an "Exclusive SecureConnectTM Cable System" cable in the package. :p
"Strengthens the hard drive cable connection by more than 500% compared to standard SATA cable..."

I didn't use it, but the connection doesn't feel flimsy with a standard SATA cable.

I haven't even presonally seen SATA connectors yet, I just know my buddy is ticked that booth his raports are now broken and he bought them early on, not to mention that any physical damage voids the warrenty.

Maxtor I left them when I had 17 gig of data on a drive that one day decided not to spin up and when i check their warrenty page the wording was Repair or Replace. I told them I just wanted the drive repaired to spin up and be accessable again, if the data on the drive was not readable that was my fault... of couse they wouldn't go for that so I now let them know my discust with my wallet and what not.

thats a smokin deal, i have used WD drives all my life and i have NEVER had one fail.
sure doesnt seem that long ago i paid $400 for a 4GB drive and that was an awesome deal at the time!
$100 a gig back then and now its under a buck..... i love how times change! :eek:

Here's my thoughts on drives:

Maxtor, good drive but when they start to die, they take their time, good in that you can get your stuff off of it bad in that windows will be crashing but they still test good in the diagnostic software, not good when you have two days of warrenty left (you usually can sweet talk them though)

WD, Not bad but when they go THEY GO, also the RMA procedure on them is much easier than Maxtor's. When you're troubleshooting a computer and you begin to hear that ominous click, your job just got a lot easier.

Seagate, I just did an RMA on a Seagate, Super Easy and painless.

The story on the Segate is a bit of a hot deal, I bought it at a local store, well the guy accidently grabbed a box of untested drives, well this 40GB was in there with $20 on it, I said something about it and he said that if it was marked $20 then it was $20, got it home, and Seagate diagnostics found it to be bad, a quick check on the internet revealed that it was still under warrenty, so I got an RMA and shipped it off to seagate that day. This was a thursday or friday, on friday the next week, I had the replacement.

i'm done with these drives, the stink. I've hopped on these offers before, in the end, i lose, my data is more important then a couple extra dollars :mad: sure u can rma it but u cant get data back and the hair you pulled out

Ordered this on the last day and they cancelled my order saying something about could not obtain proper credit card authorization. which is BS because i ordered stuff from newegg a few days earlier. Guess i'll wait until the new seagates come out or another deal comes along, don't really like WD"s anyway.

At least Dell had the good sense to replace those two dead drives with Maxtors! That should tell you something there.

Yea it tells me you got 2 refurbished Maxtor's...I wonder how they got refurbished? And don't tell me you think dell sends you new replacement parts because they don't.

Better 2 Refurb Maxtors than 2 new WD's!
I'd take a used Lexus over a new Yugo any day of the week and in a heartbeat!
(and no. I don't expect new parts from Dell. But I saw the manufacturing date on them and they were new drives)

rebates suck, especially if it's for 140 dollars and its been 4 months and you havent gotten it yet..........

*shrugs*

I'm with viper on this one, I've had over 20 WDs fail on me personaly since the 2gbish drives. Thats just in personal machines, I couldn't count how many I've replaced in customer machines.

But nothing beats the death stars,,,

I have used WD drives since my 25MB drive in my 286. All work, and have worked with no problems. My maxtor drives have had to be RMA'd, but also work now.

Does anyone have the PDF for the Outpost.com WD 250gb rebate that expired on Oct 5th? I bought 2 on the 2nd but didn't save the rebate form.

Back