Overclock Setting Fails to Post After Restarting PC in XP

Udgnim

Gawd
When I restart my PC in XP my overclock setting fails to post and the mobo reverts back to non-OC settings. So there's something causing the OC setting to be unstable, but when I do a cold boot at the OC settings or change BIOS settings back to previous OC, it posts without an issue. I haven't done any extensive stress testing. Just 2 hours in Orthos and 10 runs of IBT and playing GTA 4 for 1-2 hours.

Idle Temp is 28
Orthos Load Temp is 45
IBT Load Temp is 60

This is my overclocking history with the E8500 E0,

9.5 * 400 FSB = 3.80 GHz
9.5 * 421 FSB = 4.00 GHz
9.5 * 431 FSB = 4.10 GHz
9.5 * 437 FSB = 4.15 GHz
9.5 * 442 FSB = 4.20 GHz
9.5 * 448 FSB = 4.25 GHz

My OC settings were not failing to post and getting reverted back to non-OC settings after restarting the PC in XP prior to OCing to 4.25 GHz. I just don't understand why it'll post when doing a cold boot or applying the OC setting in BIOS if it doesn't when restarting the PC in XP.

Anyone have any experience with a similar situation before? Thanks for any help.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: E8500 E0 @ 4.25 GHz (9.5 * 448 FSB)
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2 x 2GB DDR 2 1066
CPU HSF: Tuniq Tower
PSU: SILVERSTONE OLYMPIA OP650
VID CARD: VISIONTEK 4870 512

CPU VCore: 1.36 in CPUZ
NB Voltage: 1.4V
RAM Voltage: 2.1V
RAM Timings: 5 5 5 15
RAM Performance Boost: Standard
PCI-E: 100 MHz

I'm using 2.0D strap (400 MHz) running memory 1:1.

Everything else is on Normal or disabled/enabled per the stickied OC guide.

does it happen only when oc'ed to 4.25ghz? what if you bring it back to 4.15 or so?

well it's gotten a whole lot more unstable now. if I can get an OC to post, I haven't experienced any crashes or instability in Windows, but more often that not now, an OC will not post and it'll take the mobo multiple attempts to post and revert back to the non-OC default settings. I've OCed as little as a 5% increase (333 FSB to 352 FSB) to clock and it'll fail to post and take multiple attempts to get back to the original 333 FSB.

did I screw up the North Bridge by giving it too much voltage?

I have a somewhat similar problem with my P35 chipset Gigabyte board. The system is rock solid stable with 24+ hours of Prime testing as well as memtest. I've also run the piss out of the system in many other ways so I know it's stable. While I normally don't reboot the system much, about 1 out of every 4 or 5 reboots the system will double boot as if the overclocked settings are not stable. After going into the BIOS and restoring the stable overclocked settings it will boot just fine. I think the problem is a mixture of the P35 chipset and Gigabyte boards. In your case, it's probably the same thing except that you're using a P45 chipset.

I also have a 965P chipset Gigabyte board that will do the same thing but it's rare that it happens. I have a P35 based Abit board that doesn't have this problem. The only time it might not boot with the overclocked settings is if I have a power outage.

All three of these boards are running overclocked Q6600s.

eh its not just the p35/p45's my biostars 780g m2+ does the exact same thing.. completely rock stable but i have to always shut down then cold boot the system.. if i restart it through winblows the overclock fails every time..

thanks for the input

I'm probably going to reset everything in BIOS back to default and start over on the overclock. It was taking 5+ attempts for my mobo to get back to non-OC settings when I attempted a 5% OC.

I'm hoping that I unknowingly changed some setting causing the OC instability since I would assume if it can't OC just 5% of the original clock, something has gone horrifically wrong and it wouldn't function at stock settings as well. But, it's working at stock so guessing the OC instability is due to a bad BIOS setting.

My roomates 965p s3 has done the same thing since it was new. I think its Gigabytes issue

Did you currupt the hard drive? Try error checking it.

ran Scan Disk, no errors

I'm just curious why I haven't been able to find similar cases through Google since some people in this thread have reported similar issues as me in terms of OC settings not posting after a restart in XP

ran Scan Disk, no errors

I'm just curious why I haven't been able to find similar cases through Google since some people in this thread have reported similar issues as me in terms of OC settings not posting after a restart in XP

I don't know if you're indicating that the OS might have something to do with it but I just wanted to point out that the issue has nothing to do with the OS. With regards to this problem, the issue is with the BIOS and POSTing. The only thing I can think of is that there is a specified amount of time the system has to boot from being powered on and if it takes just a little bit too long the motherboard BIOS will restart the system again with default settings thinking the problem is a failed overclock. This is just a theory of mine but it would make sense if it's some type of flag setup by the motherboard manufacturer and can be changed from board to board, manufacturer to manufacturer and from BIOS revision to BIOS revision.

I don't know if you're indicating that the OS might have something to do with it but I just wanted to point out that the issue has nothing to do with the OS. With regards to this problem, the issue is with the BIOS and POSTing. The only thing I can think of is that there is a specified amount of time the system has to boot from being powered on and if it takes just a little bit too long the motherboard BIOS will restart the system again with default settings thinking the problem is a failed overclock. This is just a theory of mine but it would make sense if it's some type of flag setup by the motherboard manufacturer and can be changed from board to board, manufacturer to manufacturer and from BIOS revision to BIOS revision.

you are correct. the issue was 1 or more BIOS settings

I reset all BIOS settings to fail-safe defaults, and reentered OC settings and have the E8500 OCed to 4.2 GHz and it isn't having any problem posting after restarting in XP

so I did something to make the PC unhappy

Hi
I am having same problem with my new mobo i just bought like 4 days ago gigabyte
GA-MA 770-DS3P ,I did little upgrade for now from agp mobo with X2 3600 birsbane and 6800 oc video card to the gigabyte mobo and HD 4830 video card and corsair 400 watt psu and i kept my 2gig kingston hyper 6000.I did little overclocking and i reached 2.4Ghz ,3 hours orthos ,after i rebooted it went back to default ans sometimes deosnt want to reboot.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
I am running at default now

I had similar problem with UD3P but it was simply an issue of going too far with the oc. After a bit of fine tuning of voltages and lowering the oc it was fine. Also, you can try updating the BIOS which could further improve stability.

Back