Overclock= Slower

cupholder2.0

Limp Gawd
I have a strange problem with my overclock. Let me start of by giving my system specs

Intel 950 @ 4.1 Ghz
Intel D955XBK Motherboard
2X 512 mb PC 4300 Micron Memory
2x 120 GB seagate HD
1X 160 GB Seagate HD
eVGA 6800 GS (525/1200)
CD Burner
DVD Drive
Allied 400 watt PSU

When I overclock my CPU my processor performance gets better, I know this because when I run superPI the times are better than the time at stock speed. But whats weird is my video(3d) performance goes to hell when Im overclocked. In CSS at stock settings I get about 76 fps avg and at 4.1 Ghz I get 54 Fps avg and when I underclock to 2.2 Ghz I get 98 Fps avg. This makes no sense at all, and has got me trying to underclock now instead of overclock (lol). I am overclocking using clockgen and I notice that it alters my PCI-E freqs, do you think this has anything to do with the problem (no instability)?
Some help would be great because I really have no idea on how to deal with this, I don't know if I should overclock or underclock, lol.

Either two things are happening.

1. Your P4 is running hot and throttling.
2. Your ram is set to auto and the mobo is downclocking it.

Id say either the processor is throtteling as stated above or your
power supply cant handle the load and isnt supplying enough power to ur vid card
but that would probably result in artifacting so idk

My 950 runs at 62 full load and I have throttle watch on and no throttling.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check the ram settings, Im pretty sure I defined them, the shouldnt be on auto.

About the power supply, I know that for a budget PSU this is pretty heavy load but I unpluged all hard drives and CD drives but one and the problem continues. All rails are stable so it looks like the PSu is ok.

Ok I put FSB override to 800 Mhz and Mem freq at 533. Im right now doing 4.25 Ghz and framerates are lower than my cpu at 3.4 Ghz :(. Anyone else have ideas? This is perhaps the stupidest problem iv come seen. Does increasing PCI-E freq in anyway slow down the graphic card? because I cant seem to lock the PCI-E bus.

what cooler are you using? to get to 4.1 .. i'm at 4.15 on my 805 PD an get around 140 fps in the stress test in cs source maxed out at 1280x1024 , full aa & af

maybe your stressin the CPU too much an it dont like The OC?

Intel stock..i kno i kno lol
but it does the job right now. 62 full load is nowhere near enough for throttle.

eh , i would lead to belive that the temp sensor is prob off on that board... than cause theres NO way a stock intel fan is gonna hold up that type of oc without high temps :)

nope, iv tested this CPU with the same fan on a couple boards (same temps). Iv tried different CPUs on it too, sensor is fine. Anyway there is no throttle so thats fine.

Now im at 4.5 Ghz

ocpost2ot.jpg

also what PI are you calculating , so i can compare mine against yours
edit my bad , 1mb , i just did it an it turned out to be 32.734 final time

not bad for 125$ chip :)

Yea, the higher the clock the slower I get in 3d. CSS now runs 40-50 fps GRRRR. I really dont know what to do guys, im stuck...help!
At 4.5 Ghz its much slower than 3.4, and at 2.2 its like 2x as fast as it is at 4.5. However the superPi shows my cpus getting faster as I gain clock and 3d shows it getting slower.

BTW, I got it to 4.78 Ghz on stock cooling, was running about 38 idle and 63 full load not too stable, even though system didnt crash programs kept crashing left and right,probably need more volts. Not bad for air cooling.

Anyway Iv brought it back to 3.4 right now, atleast until I can figure out what is going on.

CrAzYsPyDeR said:
also what PI are you calculating , so i can compare mine against yours
edit my bad , 1mb , i just did it an it turned out to be 32.734 final time

not bad for 125$ chip :)

Nice time, the 805 kicks azz for its price. If only my system would work right...:(

Yeah, I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. I have a P4 670 as well Im gonna try that tommorow and see what happens. I just don't wanna let go my dual core lol.

are you using dual instances of Prime 95 to test for stability?

(maybe your system isn't "truly" stable at those settings and it having problems)

cupholder2.0 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check the ram settings, Im pretty sure I defined them, the shouldnt be on auto.

About the power supply, I know that for a budget PSU this is pretty heavy load but I unpluged all hard drives and CD drives but one and the problem continues. All rails are stable so it looks like the PSu is ok.

I still think this may be a psu issue. Try plugging the video card, and all the drives in to another psu and use your normal one just for the mobo/cpu. I have a 3.2 prescott and a 6800GT and I could not overclock past 3.3Ghz because of my PSU (antec 430W). I bought a 550W antec and it can go past 3.8.

The problem is that each motherboard reacts differently to the lack of juice. there is no telling what your mobo is doing to compensate for lack of wattage. If you have a spare psu around try it and see what happens.

Ok right now Im running a prescott 670 @ 4.4 Ghz and its doing the samething, less 3d performance. I attached 2 powersupplies to the system and it started booting into windows, suddenly a plume of smoke came out of the system, i quickly unpluged everything and luckly everything still works. This just doesnt make any friggin sense!
Besides Im pretty sure this powersupply is strong enough (Allied 400 watt) to handle this system, right now Im running only a harddrive, mobo and cpu everything else is uppluged.

BTW at 4.4 Ghz full load im running 53C. Not bad for intel stock cooling.

my vote would be the PSU or wrong temps

just cause its 400W doesn't mean it'll run the system "fine"

there's lots of variables that are not limited to just Wattage

plus, 4,4ghz at 53C? If that's true on stock cooling, you are the first and only person I have heard been able to do that.

Yeah, im leaning towards PSU.

The temps arnt wrong, im sure. Whats so hard to believe about 54c at 4.4 Ghz?

cupholder2.0 said:
Yeah, im leaning towards PSU.

The temps arnt wrong, im sure. Whats so hard to believe about 54c at 4.4 Ghz?

intels run hot and stock coolers arent the best :p

Aware of that, but I think its possible, if you place the right amount of thermal compound and have good air flow to have my temps. Also be aware of the fact that some of the Intel coolers have copper at the bottom, many dont. Mine has copper.

cupholder2.0 said:

I thought 62C starts throttling? Either way that is pretty damn hot. PI doesn't do much for my max temps. Prime it and watch temps.

lol, no. No throttle till 78c. How do I know? I ran the prescott at 78 before, I ran it with a half eroded thermal pad (the stuff which comes already on heat sink).

That 62C was with 2 toasts running, CPU usuage was 100 percent for a while.

Btw this 62C is on my presler, my prescott does 52-53 full load. I used a crappy compound on my presler.

cupholder2.0 said:
lol, no. No throttle till 78c. How do I know? I ran the prescott at 78 before, I ran it with a half eroded thermal pad (the stuff which comes already on heat sink).

That 62C was with 2 toasts running, CPU usuage was 100 percent for a while.

Btw this 62C is on my presler, my prescott does 52-53 full load. I used a crappy compound on my presler.

Now wait a minute you do know that a Prescott 90nm chip is differant then a 65nm Presler right? Your rescott throttled at 78c which is its spec, but the preslers, now that is a differant story a Presler throttles around 63-64C not 78, if you got that CPU into 78c then you would have a deminishing CPU. This was designed differantly then the Prescott and as such has a differant TDP(Thermal Design Power) or something like that. I believe your problem is heat at this moment, you should keep the temps bellow 55C under 100% heavy load(like Prime95's torture test)

I would go with some better cooling like the Big Typhoon or something like it. I wouldnt even attempt to overclock my system at those temps, as Im anal about temps and like my equipment running smooth and for long periods of time.

cupholder2.0 said:
Ok right now Im running a prescott 670 @ 4.4 Ghz and its doing the samething, less 3d performance. I attached 2 powersupplies to the system and it started booting into windows, suddenly a plume of smoke came out of the system, i quickly unpluged everything and luckly everything still works. This just doesnt make any friggin sense!
Besides Im pretty sure this powersupply is strong enough (Allied 400 watt) to handle this system, right now Im running only a harddrive, mobo and cpu everything else is uppluged.

BTW at 4.4 Ghz full load im running 53C. Not bad for intel stock cooling.

Where did the smoke come from? Was it one of the psu's? The video card and the cpu draw the most power. The drives don't take too much. Maybe the video card is throttling because of the lack of power.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to help out. Make sure the video card and the cpu are on different PSU's.

cupholder2.0 said:
Im aware of that, but the Preslers throttle is the low 70s. (aproxx 72)

Please show me where you got that info from. I cant remember where I read about the throttling of the Preslers but it is much less then a Prescott.

I would NOT suggest ever doing that thing wtih the two PSU's again on a video card... on hard drives it would be ok, but the grounding signals between the molex and PCIe connector on that card are going to conflict and it is NOT good for the system. Im really surprised youdidnt kill anything.

Shmuckety said:
Where did the smoke come from? Was it one of the psu's? The video card and the cpu draw the most power. The drives don't take too much. Maybe the video card is throttling because of the lack of power.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to help out. Make sure the video card and the cpu are on different PSU's.

Thats certainly possible, I think the video card maybe throttling due to lack of power. I may have to get a new PSU. It only has like a 19-20 amp 12 volt rail :(.

BTW I couldnt tell where the smoke came from, I quickly turned it oof. Somewhere off the mainboard.

adeoliver said:
Please show me where you got that info from. I cant remember where I read about the throttling of the Preslers but it is much less then a Prescott.

Its not 72, but its not 62 either.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...Fam=1039&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

68.6c is the temp according to Intel.

My 670 has a thermal spec of about 73

http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...cFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

Don't know why mine didnt downclock till 78.

Ah yes. i was refering to a 920 so I was a bit off.
In either case Id keep the temps far from there. It seems as if the PSU might be the main cause of the problem but in my opinion your temps are way to high for any kind of overclock. Invest in a higher 12v rail PSU and a better cooling solution.

Good luck. :D

cupholder2.0 said:
Thats certainly possible, I think the video card maybe throttling due to lack of power. I may have to get a new PSU. It only has like a 19-20 amp 12 volt rail :(.

BTW I couldnt tell where the smoke came from, I quickly turned it oof. Somewhere off the mainboard.
20a for a presler?

Yeah, you need a new power supply.

New PSU, vid card either suffering from lack of juice, or motherboard throttling bus speeds since it can't find enough power. Moar powah to teh engines, scotty!

Back