overclocked 8800gt?

XeRo_Dark

Gawd
noticed theres like 4 different clock speeds of the 8800gt out on newegg so far.....
which are all really within the same general price range so whats the point of buying an ss opposed to a standard gt? same pci-e interface, same bios/heatsync/fan.... really when it comes down to it, its the same card just clocked up 50~100mhz, so why spend the extra money?

600mhz -standard ~259ish
650mhz -superclock ~279ish
675mhz -KO ~289ish
700mhz -SS ~309ish

i take it its easy to overclock it the extra 100mhz to the core and ram give or take 75~100mhz without a problem? since well, they already are doing it with the stock clock speeds listed above.... how stable would the card/system be if you overclocked both the ram and core clock speed with riva the 100mhz to match the ss speed with stock heatsync/fan since theres no difference in the fan/heatsync bios etc on all 4 versions of the same model card. why not save yourself the extra 50 bucks and just do a 100mhz overclock yourself?

Opinions?

while i don't have one in my hands yet, i'm gonna go ahead and wager that overclocking this card will be the go.

all you can do is giver a try!

One of the problems with all of this factory overclocking is that they are essentially speed binning the chips. If you get a 600MHz model you run the risk of getting the red headed step child that couldn't cut it at even 650MHz.Since the low end sells more than the high end there will always be some chips that can go higher. However there is always the chance that your 600MHz is a 600MHz chip because it can only go up to 630.

That is the difference.

The only gurantee with a pre-overclocked card is that it will run at the overclocked speeds, not nessecerily more, theres still a chance that a stock speed card can overclock more than a pre-overclocked one.

I doubt they arrange all their chips by max overclock speed and only pick the highest to be OC variants, the OC variants will just be ones know to run the higher speed.

The only gurantee with a pre-overclocked card is that it will run at the overclocked speeds, not nessecerily more, theres still a chance that a stock speed card can overclock more than a pre-overclocked one.

I doubt they arrange all their chips by max overclock speed and only pick the highest to be OC variants, the OC variants will just be ones know to run the higher speed.

They may later on but since its a brand new card i doubt they are binning everything either as they kind of are OVERLOADED with orders, etc! :p

even then you're not going to notice really any visual difference 5~10fps so really it would be pointless to OC it anyway... your not gonna see a frame jump of more than 10fps with just a 100mhz overclock

i just canceled my order through tiger direct since they are all on backorder and wont be getting any in for the next 2-3 weeks... yeaaah screw that i can find it in stock somewhere else

even then you're not going to notice really any visual difference 5~10fps so really it would be pointless to OC it anyway... your not gonna see a frame jump of more than 10fps with just a 100mhz overclock

i just canceled my order through tiger direct since they are all on backorder and wont be getting any in for the next 2-3 weeks... yeaaah screw that i can find it in stock somewhere else

it does help with DX10 games a bit, Specially Hellgate london, upped my Frames to make it playable :)

Got a 8800gt KO, came 675 core, now up to 740core, and 2080 on the ram and its quite a noticable gain. Now in tf2 i didnt notice shit, well cause it was smooth anyway lol

how is hellgate londen with your compy? frame rate n such?

Runs great maxed details in dx9 mode, AA set on low 60fps rarely goes down

now dx10 more, I set shaders to very high, extreme is still a bit to taxing, but I also think its either drivers or the game cause im getting alot of in-game glitches.

But when it comes to dx9 mode, its as smooth as butter.

if u have vsync on disable it and u should get over 60fps, much of a visual difference from dx9 to dx10 with hgl?

if u have vsync on disable it and u should get over 60fps, much of a visual difference from dx9 to dx10 with hgl?

I like vsync enabled, stays at 60 never goes down, Dont need much more, but thats just me.

There is a visual difference in dx9 to 10. Its worth it for sure, but you need more BEEF to get that puppy running, specially in high res. :)

I plan to get another 8800gt KO when the SLI drivers mature a bit on Vista 64bit, I want to game in dx10 for hellgate london.

But to me i would rather have nonstop 60fps over 30-40fps for a visual upgrade, but everyone is different.

i think im gonna pickup the ss version not sure if im gonna run vista 64 or 32 yet...

Back