Overclocked BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC

Slawek

Limp Gawd
So I have a BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC. The stock speeds are 425/1050. I enabled coolbits, and I detected optimal settings.. it suggested 491/1180. I dropped my speeds to 480/1160 just to be on the safe side. So I run 3DMark06, and I get a WICKED inrcease, from like 3600 to 4000 just from that O/C. But when I'm playing Counter Strike, I'm noticing at certain times I get some crazy slowdowns, like 40fps.

So I'm wondering, could o/c it too much cause it to slow down and lag or chop in games? I mean, 3DMark gave me wicked performance, and when Counter Strike is not lagged it's like 160-200 fps, which is just amazing. But I expect it to STAY like that. When I run a video stress test in Counter Strike, I get like 160 fps average.

I made sure to match my 2D and 3D speeds to be the same, so it runs steady at 480/1160. No artifacts that I've seen. I did see artifacts at 490/1190.

Should I be dropping my overclock at all? Any suggestions? Or does everything seem normal?

As long as you are not geting any artifacts i don't see how that overclock could make things worse.

yeah i agree, but i mean, maybe I should drop it to 460/1150 to be safe?

When playing CS are you playing online our just alone. If its online it could be server lag

it's online but i have a ping of 30.. anyway i read up on nvidia forums, I dropped it to 465/1080. I'm not starving for o/c, so this is stable and fine for me.

SOmeone said that 1180 w/o a voltage mod is not safe

Slawek said:
it's online but i have a ping of 30.. anyway i read up on nvidia forums, I dropped it to 465/1080. I'm not starving for o/c, so this is stable and fine for me.

SOmeone said that 1180 w/o a voltage mod is not safe

oc'ing by itself won't be "unsafe" unless you're not paying attention to temperatures AT ALL.

if your problems have disappeared now that you've downclocked, I'd venture a guess to say that it was probably temps that were creating the problem. If you'd like to find out, download RTHDRIBL and open up your temperature monitor. Start up RTHDRIBL and check your temps. If you notice it throttling, then you've got an obvious heat problem. This would be remidied either with better case airflow, a better HSF, or downclocking. Otherwise, it could very possibly be a voltage issue. The only way to check this is to voltmod your card, but I don't think thats necessarily the route you'd like to persue :)

Back