Overclocked my CPU whats next?

BingeBoy

Weaksauce
Hi,

I'm a noob when it comes to overclocking and some direction/advise would really help me out.

I got my new system running solid at 3153MHZ at 9x multiplier. My board is a DFI LT x38 all other sys specs can be seen in my signature below.

What should my next steps be? I haven't changed anything in the bios other than multiplier and FSB. More or less everything is still at its auto setting and seems stable though a 24/7 test hasn't been run yet. I was planning on oc-ing my GPU next then trying to mess with voltage. I'm assuming if I can lower some volts my overall heat will be lower even though now nothing is extremely hot. Has anyone tried a different multiplier with air for a q6600 on a x38?

View Load Temps Screen Shot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bingebo...35034/sizes/l/

CPU: 48 - 52 on load
core 0: 59
core 1: 49
core 2: 49
core 3: 56

System: 49-52
Chipset 47-52

Thanks

I would say up the volts on the processor and see how high you can take the processor. But before you do anything else do atleast 6hrs or more of 4 instances prime95 that way you are running all 4 cores at 100%. If it is stable with 6hrs or more of prime95 just keep tweaking your settings until you get what you want with reasonable temps.

wow you get so much heat for only 3.1.....mine is at 34.01 and idle is 34-37 in load its 39-45 and im runing on air :S maybe the auto volt just push it to high, try setting them on your own and see

Doesn't sound like it's too hot ... others may be a few C cooler, but there's no way that 40s/50s are going to result in a burnt up chip

& think twice before upping your CPU voltage. If it's stable now there is no advantage in doing so... it will only increase your Temps. If it is not stable tho than you need to, & it looks like your temps can take more IMO

Since you'll also be oc'ing the gpu, try looking up others that have the same video card as yours and check to see how far most have been able to stabily oc theirs. If temps bother you with your card, it would also be good to invest in an aftermarket cooling solution.

wow you get so much heat for only 3.1.....mine is at 34.01 and idle is 34-37 in load its 39-45 and im runing on air :S maybe the auto volt just push it to high, try setting them on your own and see

I do have a really high ambient temp, but as is not enough heat for any concern. What volt setting are you currently using? I have plenty of airflow so maybe I'll push it a little harder. ;)

Must have been my ambient temp I'm running close to 3.2 now and my highest system temp from speed fan was 52c. I tried to run at 3.4 but system was crashing. I think I need to add more voltage to the cpu.

Your next step should be to try 8 x 400 for 3.2Ghz and a 5/4 memory mulitplier to obtain a low Trd. This will underclock your memory (memory speed of 1000MHz) some but you can run at CAS 4. You then can try loosening your memory timings and still running 8 x 400 for 3.2GHz see if you can get it to run with CAS 5 at a memory speed of 1200MHz, this will be a longshot and will require high memory voltages.

You have probably acheived 80% of the available OC fairly easily, the next 20% requires a plan. Cranking up the cpu voltage without checking/validating the rest of the system first is not a good way to go, reduce the mulitplier, get a memest86+ cd made and test your MCH and memory subsytem at higher FSB so you know where their limit is. Then once you know how to make the board and memory run at high FSB;s you can start working hard on the cpu. If you do not, you just flop around changing random things wondering what is preventing your OC. This takes time and a rational plan and lots of note taking. It does not and cannot be done in a day if you want to find the real absolute max your board can do. It is best to approach it as a long term project and work on it in between other computer activities.

Back