Overclocking a athlon 64 x2?

[CaM]Spoon

Limp Gawd
Hello
Just wondering if a AM2 athlon 64 x2 4200 or anyother speed for that matter as good to overclock as they say a intel dual core is?
I just picked up a athlon 64 x2 4200 for cheap but wondering if it would be better to spend another 50 dollers and get a intel 4300 or 4400?

What are your thoughts?

not just a cpu but a board as well. IF you have the cash then YEA.

I have an AM2 4k that does 2.8 easy. I think thats very close to a stock 6600 no?

Thanks.
I sorta have the cash but dont like the idea of blowing that much money for gaming.
Really people can do with the cheapest dual core cpu.. anything more is gaming and video editing.

Unless you are going to game at the highest resolutions a 2.4 should suffice. Save $ and buy a better VC. HEck the cheapest dual should hit 2.4 at stock no prob. A decent one should hit 2.6-2.8 and a really nice one does 3Ghz.

Nice. Can this be done with stock fan/heatsink for cpu?
I know ram is important so I did put the extra money into that.

The better the Aircooling/watersetup the better your Overclock will be, Disapating Heat and having to push Less Voltage into your Chip means survival of a good OC. Dont Skimp on your cooler.There are great deals out there and ThermalRight coolers are King for Air right now! If you can fit a thermalright Xtream 120 in your case i suggest buying one .It will kool the chip better even with no fan on it! The not so good stock heatsink is just that stock;)if your gonna Oc, do up your cooling and make shure your case has good air flow.

This applies if you have buget board or Top Dollar.. If it isnt cool your not going get that good Oc with decent temps:D
http://www.svc.com/ultra-120-extreme.html I would invest my money on cooling and a decent case ,one with good airflow....This is the foundation of your sytem and if you plan to Oc these two things will determin how your Buget or TOP notch CHIP.Board and Memory will overclock!

The brisbanes run very cool. I have the Opteron 939 heatsink and it stays very cool. I'm at 1.35V and at 2.6Ghz but It can more than handle a brsiby at 1.4V. I'm sure I can do 3Ghz on this. Just to lazy to try. :)

I think the OPteron heatsink (Some said it was as good as a XP90 Thermalright and maybe even a tad better) with a 80 or 92mm fan mod will do the trick.

Back