Overclocking a.... Pentium II !

DuffMan72

Limp Gawd
I took out my old computer, a 400 mhz PII (4x100) recently, and decided to overclock it. So far, I overclocked it to 448mhz (4x112) and the CPU temp was still relatively cool, at a bit more than 30 degrees celcius. The multiplier is unlocked, so I was wondering if it was safe to increase the multiplier to 4.5x, or possibly even higher without doing any damage to the processor.

its an old computer you were storing away, does it really matter? i assumed the reason you took it out was to overclock it as high as you could go without having to worry about it.

Actually, I'll probably end up using it for Microsoft Word and some oldschool games (Starcraft, diablo II). I've gotten a few frames higher in DII thanks to the overclock, and I'm just wondering if I can push it any higher.

if the multi is unlocked i would work with that only .. not the fsb

the fsb has implications with the agp and pci buses ...

you could corrupt your hard drive ... not likely but still possible

try 100 x 4.5 or 5

also you should be able to do some old school research on how fast those chips can go

i posted a similar thread a while back a bout a P 1 and some of the [H]ardnessSupremes knew everything there was to know about it

If the multiplier is unlocked that means its an engineering sample, are you SURE that they are unlocked?

see what i mean

this cat above me is a 2[H]4U and look what he knows .. sheesh .. gurus i tell you

All Intel processors have had locked multipliers since the P2, there have been a few exception but I know that the 400mhz was not one of them.

I had a P2 350 a while back that could hit 542. It maxed out my motherboard at 155FSB.

Yea i have a old dell system sitting in the corner with a LOCKED 450mhz PII.

Cant attest to PII overclocking since I was too yound to overclock when they were hot, but ask me about dual300a celerons on a ABit Bp6

LOL the glory days

you should change your sig email @ simple to "AT" to you don't get so much spam

acascianelli said:
If the multiplier is unlocked that means its an engineering sample, are you SURE that they are unlocked?
acascianelli said:
All Intel processors have had locked multipliers since the P2, there have been a few exception but I know that the 400mhz was not one of them.

I had a P2 350 a while back that could hit 542. It maxed out my motherboard at 155FSB.
Thanks for playing, but the P3 is when Intel locked things down. P2s were unlocked.

Bump it up, man. My buddy had no problems running his 300@450.

-bZj

Down8 said:
Thanks for playing, but the P3 is when Intel locked things down. P2s were unlocked.

-bZj

The very first P2's were unlocked, some where in 1998 they changed that and locked all the multipliers. Then there was a trick that could be done with P2 350 and 400's that would unlock some multipliers (3.5-5). I think this was done with the B21 pin on the slot, it told the processor that it was running on a 66/100FSB. SInce both the 350 and 400 were 100FSB CPU's, by sending a 66FSB signal to it the cpu would unlock multipliers to comphensate for the lower FSB.

I was wrong in saying that the 400 had locked multipliers cause its obvious that in fact some had partially unlocked multipliers.

But, for the most part all pentium 2's had locked multipliers.

Down8 said:

-bZj

You are wrong. Most PII's were locked and I'm sure all 100mhz bus PII's were locked. The only ones unlocked were some 66mhz FSB PII's.

Also, the processor you are talking about in the second part of your post is not a PII. It's a Celeron 300a with the 128k of full speed on die cache. The vast majority of them were great overclockers of which few would not do 450 and if the rest of your equipment was up to it, 504. The Celerons also had locked multipliers.

SmokeRngs said:
You are wrong. Most PII's were locked and I'm sure all 100mhz bus PII's were locked. The only ones unlocked were some 66mhz FSB PII's.

Also, the processor you are talking about in the second part of your post is not a PII. It's a Celeron 300a with the 128k of full speed on die cache. The vast majority of them were great overclockers of which few would not do 450 and if the rest of your equipment was up to it, 504. The Celerons also had locked multipliers.

It was not a Celeron. PII-300@450. He still runs it as a server. It's unlocked, plain and simple.

-bZj

Down8 said:
It was not a Celeron. PII-300@450. He still runs it as a server. It's unlocked, plain and simple.

-bZj
like they said, the early ones were unlocked.

Back