Overclocking ATI 3870 Help

BingeBoy

Weaksauce
Can someone tell me the best application to use when overclocking my ati 3870 and what improvements I can expect?

Thanks

if you search for "ATI tool" or "RivaTuner" & set them up, I think you'll be hugely satisfied with either program (I use Riva).

As for improvement expectations, it will vary with the game, resolution & settings. If you're borderline in a certain game setup (20-30 fps) & Overclock the core GPU 50-75 MHz, you might get a bump to upper 20s/mid-30s, maybe 40 if you push it further but watch out for artifacts & high Temps. If you were already running 50-60fps, you'd probably see 60-70 which really isn't going to change gameplay too much.

Memory & shaders will typically OC a good amount further than the core, fyi

download both. ATI tool's fuzzy cube stress test is excellent at getting your card to work as hard as it possibly can.

riva tuner is a little advanced, you can (or attempt to change) some pretty low level settings, but if you just change the core and mem frequency your not going to do much damage.

Have the ati tool loaded but I can't seem to change the core or mem settings. When I click on the setting tab there is no device in the drop down.
Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Back