Overclocking confusion on Athlon64 X2

swoop56

Limp Gawd
Specs in sig

I can get the CPU to run at 2.85Ghz stable with a fsb of 235 and a multi of 11x. My RAM timings are set to 333. If I set it to DDR 400. It won't boot. My HTT is set to Auto.

Here's the problem. My RAM is running at 185Mhz 2-3-2-6. But I don't understand why? Why is it that I must set my ram divider at 333 in order to run a 235fsb? How would it be possible to run my RAM at 200mhz. It's rated speed and still be able to run the cpu fsb at 235?

cpu1.JPG

cpu2.JPG

if your ram can handle it, you can set it back to 200 or 1:1 thus making your ram run at 235Mhz instead of stock 200. Since not all memory will run those speeds, the divider comes in handy to make your memory run at a lower speed while still overclocking your CPU. You can play with different Multis too to get your desired CPU and Memory Overclock. Read the sticky first and foremost before going farther.

swoop56 said:
Specs in sig

I can get the CPU to run at 2.85Ghz stable with a fsb of 235 and a multi of 11x. My RAM timings are set to 333. If I set it to DDR 400. It won't boot. My HTT is set to Auto.

Here's the problem. My RAM is running at 185Mhz 2-3-2-6. But I don't understand why? Why is it that I must set my ram divider at 333 in order to run a 235fsb? How would it be possible to run my RAM at 200mhz. It's rated speed and still be able to run the cpu fsb at 235?

This seems weird because your ram divider is 5/6(166mhz). This should mean that your ram speed should be (clock speed)/13 which would be 200mhz.

this link may be helpful:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=888001

You have a couple options on your mem speed when your OCin. The 2 that you need to look @ is the DDR400 and DDR333. The DDR400 runs ur memory @ a 1:1 to the FSB so that means whatever you have ur FSB set to, thats the speed the DDR400 setting will run your mem @. In your case if your running on the 235 FSB, then running your mem @ 1:1 (DDR400) would make your mem run @ 235 also (DDR470) Your mem is only designed to run on the 200 FSB so when your Ocin you need to keep your mem speeds @ or under 200 bus. So in your case you can select the DDR333 option which will slow down your mem to allow them to work @ a higher CPU FSB. IF you get to 250 FSB, the DDR333 setting will give you a mem bus of 200 which is ddr400. Hope this helps.

Yo dude. Before setting your ram divider upto DDR400/200/1:1 try upping the voltage going to the ram and loosening up them timings. You might be able to hit them speeds with your ram. If not, then keep your divider where it is, lower your multi to ten. And ramp up your HT to 250. This will make your ram run at 208Mhz, a very marginal above stock OC on the ram. And you will keep your 2.5Ghz X2 with the extra bandwidth

i agree ^^^ i would guess that your mobo could do 250mhz HTT so knock the cpu multiplier down to 10x and bump up the fsb to around 250-260. Keep your ram divider at 5:6 (166mhz) and you should be good to go running your DDR400 at 204mhz

Couple of things. Depending on which version ocz ram you have, you may need to up vdimm to 2.8v to achieve rated speeds/timings. Also, you'll probably have to set crc to 2T to run 2gb of ram on that mobo. I couldn't run 1t timings reliably on my asus sli-dlx mobo, not even with everything at stock settings. 2t fixed all stability settings and allowed a much better oc.

Back