Overclocking conroe board with 2 pcie x16 slots, & supports OCZ 2.1V ram

Mellman

Limp Gawd
I'm getting sick and tired of my DS3 board. The incompatibility with my OCZ ram, and having to borrow a neighbors stick each time it boots really is no fun.

I also want a pcie raid card, so I need a second slot which the DS3 does not have.

at this point in the game its either I spend $200 on some new DDR, or $200 on a new motherboard...

I was originally planning to use my DS3 to hold me over til the new nforce chipsets, but its really getting bad, and now I think there are issues with my x-fi...

any thoughts or reccomendations? I really hate spending more than $150 on a motherboard...but eah.

My CPU is an e6400 and my ram is OCZ DDR2 800 Platinum XTC 2GB Kit
I plan to OC as much as I can out of the chip...and chose the DS3 because it OC's well, and was cheap...

How about the basic Abit AW9D iirc $189 at newegg or if you like Gigabyte DQ6 (shame that the DS4 isn't available in the US)?

does the gigabyte board OC as well as the DS3, and support 2.1v by default?

Try running relaxed timings of 5-5-5 with that memory. Mine runs/boots/has no stability issues with a DS3. Maybe I'm just lucky :confused: .

I JUST bought a P5B Deluxe from Asus. I also have exactly the same RAM as you, and it booted *fine*. I've got it up to 425 FSB (E6300 at 7x) without touching anything other than the FSB and PCIe/PCI locks.

It's got dual 16x PCIe slots, as well as a 1x slot.

The ethernet connections on mine sucked, but the driver from the ethernet chips website (Marvell Yukon) worked really well.

**edit** make that 455 without touching any voltages, and RISING!

Asus P5B Deluxe (non-WiFi) unless you need the WiFi.

It'll OC w/o a lot of hassles.

It should hit 500 easy, & usually you can get to around ~525 before things get difficult.

Mellman said:
does the gigabyte board OC as well as the DS3, and support 2.1v by default?
It overclocks as well but I'm not sure about the default 2.1V although it shouldn't be too hard to find out.

However, have you asked OCZ if there is a new SPD that can be programmed for your RAM (I know that there is for some OCZ when used on AW9D)?

meh i ordered a P5B need dual pcie for my raid card, need onboard firewire for my video camera, and need something that doesnt complain about my x-fi...

thanks for the suggestions guys...

ended up goin with zzf...ewiz wanted $18 to ship, so their low price went down the tubes, zzf will have my board to me tomorrow for less than ewiz's basic shipping.

Back