Overclocking, e4300 and stability

SuperKeijo

Gawd
Hi!

I'd like to ask your opinion on what to do on this matter regarding e4300 overclocking and stability. The thing is, according to orthos' small fft torture test all is fine up to atleast at 3366MHz and (at 1.55v LOL. I do get some pretty bogus temps with these settings. Everest ultimate says 93 degrees, TAT is at ~87 but coretemp 0.94 gives a reasonable 74c, and that's the one I believe at the moment.). It can run hours on that speed with no instability in sight.

TAT (Intel thermal analysis tool) tells another story. It starts showing instability at 3150MHz and 1,43v. It seems that the problem with tat is that it needs shitloads more voltage, and the higher the cpu speeds go the more voltage it requires compared to orthos. At 3GHz both are fine with 1,35v. At 3150MHz orthos is fine with 1,4v but TAT needs over 1,43. At 3,3GHz orthos is fine with 1,48v while TAT is basically unstable with reasonable voltages. The problem here isn't temps, because orthos 3366mhz and 1,55v runs a hell lot warmer than TAT at 3150.

So, I'd like to hear what you guys think about this. Basically I want to know should I just forget TAT and stick with orthos stability testing, or pump up the voltages required to get TAT stable? I know TAT is kind of overkill and it seems pretty unreasonable running at much higher voltages than I practically need for everything (other than TAT). My filosophy with overclocking is that I'm not satisfied until EVERY program runs stable, but maybe with TAT I might have to make an exception. I hope I could just forget TAT and stick with the more moderate voltages required to get orthos stable. Hell TAT doesn't even run on other than Intel chipsets so should I just forget about it?

Intel TAT was designed for laptops and isn't really supposed to be used on desktops. I would say that you are fine with using Orthos and taking its results. There is no reason not to. Just make sure that Orthos is fully stable then go about your day-to-day stuff (gaming, web-surfing, emailing) and see what the system does. If you start to get BSOD's, lock-up's and reboots then you need to do some further testing.

FWIW I can't even run TAT on my system and I have an E4300.

.94 coretemp is wrong by -15C, so that means your 74C reading is actually 89C, which might be doing a smidgen of damage to your processor :eek:. Go download .95 and try it. Most definitely go and lower your clock speed and voltage because a proc running at almost 90C is doing some damage to the core.

.94 coretemp is wrong by -15C, so that means your 74C reading is actually 89C, which might be doing a smidgen of damage to your processor :eek:. Go download .95 and try it. Most definitely go and lower your clock speed and voltage because a proc running at almost 90C is doing some damage to the core.

So you're saying it does damage to the cpu BEFORE ANY kind of instability issues? Yeah right :p

Why would Intel rate some of their C2D processors at a maximum of 100C if these processors could be physically damaged by operating them at 90C?
That makes no sense.

All Core2Duo processors start to throttle before the temperature gets too high and if that isn't sufficient then the next circuit kicks in and shuts them down.

There's a reason why even on extreme sites you don't hear about piles of dead cpus. The Core2Duo is probably the most reliable and has the longest lifespan of any component in your computer.

They also have a 3 year warranty so even in that rare case you nuked yours, they'll send you a new one so you can try again. After 3 years you'll be able to find one in the bargain bin at the local used computer store for under twenty bucks so let's not scare people out of overclocking their processor and having some fun! :D

TAT is completely overkill and even Orthos is overkill for the majority of apps people run. Does anyone have one real world app that creates as much heat as TAT does?

I'm running at 3,2GHz and 1,4375v now.I guess I'll just leave it at that. Atleast it's 100% stable now and temps arent too bad either. Running orthos small fft for 10 minutes coretemp 0.94 says 63c on both cores and TAT says 74 on both cores. That can't be too much now!

Back