Overclocking i3-530 on MSI P55M-GD41, need some advice

Emission

Supreme [H]ardness
I just built the system [H]ades in the signature and need some tips on overclocking with this board, it's a bit weird. I had to go through some hoops to get the system to even accept non-default clock settings but I finally got it to cooperate somewhat. So far the only thing I've been doing is raising the BCLK. I disabled all EIST and power saving features as well as "OverSpeed Protection." All else left at "Auto."

Initially I kept raising it to see at what maximum speed the system would boot at and I got to around 198 MHz BCLK (4356 MHz CPU Clock?). Then I dropped the muliplier to 16 and kept raising the BCLK to try to get my maximum BCLK and I got to 216 MHz and then they system wouldn't budge, I couldn't get it any higher. Messed with a few voltages to no avail, the CPU VTT and the PCH Voltage mainly.

Another weird thing is that I can get the system up to 4 GHz stable without touching anything else, but when I go to increase the voltage without changing anything else, it doesn't boot. I don't know if I was trying to apply too much voltage or what's going on.

Maybe someone here who has some experience with the first gen i3s and/or this board can shed some light on the subject. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or missing but I'm gonna keep trying. I didn't put together a custom water cooling system to settle for 4 GHz :).

Looks like the board itself has issues. Very finicky about certain settings changes. I can't change the QPI Multi no matter what I do. Ditching this board soonest chance I get.

Back