Overclocking in D3.... an issue for the majority??

Badger_sly

[H]ard|Gawd
This is my experiences so far with D3 and OCed video and cpu. Please add your own experiences, thoughts, ideas.

My BFG 5900nu usually is OCed to a 5950 @ 475/950, but after 45 minutes of playing D3, I got slight speckles/snow. That was with my AC super-cooler pumping cold air inside my case, load temps during D3 for the video card was low 60's. When playing Battle Field Vietnam while clocked at 475/950, the card temps get into the low 60's, with no speckles/snow. So the video card is working harder, but I don't believe it is a heat issue with the video OC.

Once I bumped the 5900 OC down to 450/875 (still OCed from 400/850), there were no more speckles/snow, and D3 runs perfectly smooth without any lag or stuttering or artifacts. That is at 1040x768, high details, shadows, surround, and everything else turned on (no AA/AF). I don't believe it's a heat issue due to my super cooler and previous results with BF:VN.

** One other point of interest: When I first fired the game up and was setting up my controls, the game hard locked my computer. I rebooted, but it did it again. So I turned my cpu OC down from 3.5 to 3.2. I got farther doing the setup that time, but it hardlocked when I was starting a new game. So I turned my cpu OC down from 3.2 to stock at 2.8. Everything was perfectly fine from then on.

I have my P4 3.0c @ 3.55 - 235 FSB, and my 6800GT at 420/1.13 and Doom 3 working fine with zero issues. Whew.. runs awesome..

Back