overclocking opteron 165 past 2.5ghz makes games artifact??? weird stuff

thabub

Limp Gawd
OK, i have an opteron 165 oem from newegg that is a ccbwe 0530 stepping(supposed to be good) on a chaintech vnf4/ultra mobo with 2x512mb corsair xms pro. The proc is watercooled by a swiftech 6002 and dual 120mm heatercore setup. Right now I am running 9x278 with a 133mhz divider on the ram to keep it out of the equation for now, so it is at 178mhz. This is all on 1.45 volts, my idle temps are 32 deg C and highest load i've seen is 35C(yes these are cpu and not mobo temps, case temp is 19C right now, its cold damnit!). I have an evga 7800gt n16 model with the copper cooler on it that is being kept at stock clocks right now for testing the cpu out. The problem is whenever I take the cpu higher, I can boot into windows and do whatever up to 2.7 ghz without a sweat but whenever I run any 3d apps it artifacts right away. Is the pcie bus being unlocked somehow or do I need more chipset voltage?? This seems strange to me, all temps are great and I have put up to 1.55v on the opteron. Thanks.

it sounds like the PCI-e lock is not working. on my A8N-SLI Deluxe you have to set the FSB/HTT to 201mhz and then enable the lock or it wont work. i dont know if your board has similar issues but i had odd artifacting as well till i figured that out.

I was just going to say, from the title it sounds like a PCIe or AGP bus failure. What does Clockgen say your AGP or PCIe bus is running at?

na, the pci-e isnt coming unlocked, I checked in clockgen. I have one of the evga cards that came with the incorrect bioses that apparently have a 40mhz geometry delta clock(wtf) that makes the core be 40mhz+ on the card. I just flashed the bios and am gonna try to overclock the cpu again. This mobo is pissing me off, it won't let me adjust the fsb in big increments, if i do it won't save the settings. I have to inch it up like 20mhz at a time. It is being really finicky. I'll report back soon, thanks for the help.

I don't know, there is a big sticky at the evga forum that says that they screwed up the bioses on the 7800gt co versions and you should flash if you have problems and all sorts of other garbage. I just ran 3dmark2005 again and artifacting right away, ARRG! I tried the pcie at 101mhz also. This is so lame, i'll bump up the northbridge voltage some to see if it helps, thanks.

yeah, i flashed the bios, same thing, I am starting to think this is just a 3dmark2005 issue because there is no artifacting whatsoever in 3dmark2003 and i am running the real time HDR demo now and there has been no artifacting yet, but the gpu is at 70*c, I guess these things just run hot.The cpu is at 35*c running 289x9 @1.5v, htt multi is at 3x also. This is so weird, test 1 and 2 of 3dmark05 have mad artifacting, just small black chunks streaking across the screen and such and flickering textures and such just in random places, but the 3rd test with the ship thing doesn't artifact. Thanks for the help, i'll update soon and add my opter0wn to the ocdata list.

thabub said:
yeah, i flashed the bios, same thing, I am starting to think this is just a 3dmark2005 issue because there is no artifacting whatsoever in 3dmark2003 and i am running the real time HDR demo now and there has been no artifacting yet, but the gpu is at 70*c, I guess these things just run hot.The cpu is at 35*c running 289x9 @1.5v, htt multi is at 3x also. This is so weird, test 1 and 2 of 3dmark05 have mad artifacting, just small black chunks streaking across the screen and such and flickering textures and such just in random places, but the 3rd test with the ship thing doesn't artifact. Thanks for the help, i'll update soon and add my opter0wn to the ocdata list.

Yeah, I've had issues with 3dmark01/03/05, but it seems to be more of a driver related thing with the 81.85's with dual core support :(.

ok screw it everything works great but 3dmark2005, I just got finished playing some games so I'm gonna keep overclocking this beast. 2.7ghz is next :D . Thanks to everyone for the advice.

is there an update for 3dmark05.. i personally don't care for the benchmark too muchg, but if you know what your rig does, it's handy as a diagnostic tool sometimes, and it's decent for stability testing the video card

Back