Overclocking Question

shivang222

Limp Gawd
Would a QX6700 overclocked at 3.2Ghz be slower than an E6600 overclocked at 3.6Ghz?

In single threaded apps like most games it would be slower.

In 3DMax and other multi-threaded apps it would be quicker.

Can you please give me examples of multi/single threaded applications?

What are most applications? Multi or Single threaded?

no, only in multithreaded programs, which are rare and few. 3.2ghz on a QX6700 is exactly the same as an E6700 @ 3.2Ghz in most programs. I don't see any benefits you'll reap from getting a QX6700, unless you really want to =) (you do have unlocked multipliers though :-D )

Which ones would really benefit from quad core?

Folding@Home for the [H]orde. And encoding divx movies.

Basically any audio/video encoding software or if you want to run a virtual machine. It's pretty cool to be able to run linux in a window inside win xp.

I don't mean to thread jack, but how about...is it possible to OC my Core 2 Duo in this Dell mobo and Dell Bios? Maybe a hardware mod?

Also SentToSchool, is your Seagate 7200.10 loud? Mine is the loudest HD I have ever owned and I have been through quite a few hard drives. Clickity Clacky 400GB 7200.10 Seagatey from friesey

I don't mean to thread jack, but how about...is it possible to OC my Core 2 Duo in this Dell mobo and Dell Bios? Maybe a hardware mod?

Also SentToSchool, is your Seagate 7200.10 loud? Mine is the loudest HD I have ever owned and I have been through quite a few hard drives. Clickity Clacky 400GB 7200.10 Seagatey from friesey

Hell yea its loud. It's definitely louder than all my fans combined. I have a fan controller so I can only hear my fans when my ear is right next to the case. But my Seagate makes very loud seek/write noises and it also vibrates my case a lot. I hate it and I plan on RMA it.

duno, but I can barely hear my HD... doesnt seem any different to previous 200g 7200.7(in terms of noise)

Back