Overclocking the 6800GT

^eMpTy^

2[H]4U
Anyone have any general overclocking tips they can share to get the most out of my GT? Like should I replace the thermal paste or pads with arctic silver? Should I be overly concerned about getting more air right to the card? Or should I get a pretty decent overclock without too much effort?

you should get to atleast ultra speeds with the core. Memory can come close I think BFG uses faster memory for thier GT line.

Aerobahn said:
you should get to atleast ultra speeds with the core. Memory can come close I think BFG uses faster memory for thier GT line.

Should I get a pci slot cooler to blow onto the card? Since I have the 2 pci slots next to the card free...

the BFG 6800GT is the same as all of the other brand 6800GTs. they've got 2.0ns memory.

^eMpTy^ said:
Should I get a pci slot cooler to blow onto the card? Since I have the 2 pci slots next to the card free...

go for it. it's not going to hurt anything.

ForeverUnknown said:
the pci cooler wouldnt hurt but wait for the new vga silencers

what's a vga silencer...and when's the "new" one coming out?

edit: ok found out what it is...will the new one cool the ram chips? is this better than the stock cooler?

^eMpTy^ said:
what's a vga silencer...and when's the "new" one coming out?

edit: ok found out what it is...will the new one cool the ram chips? is this better than the stock cooler?

way better than the stock cooler. the new ones will cool nvidia's ram. it should be out in a few weeks or so. i dont remember what they said

ForeverUnknown said:
way better than the stock cooler. the new ones will cool nvidia's ram. it should be out in a few weeks or so. i dont remember what they said

sweet..I'll poke around for some more info...thanks for the tip...

Memory cooling is not going to help any with this new GDDR-3. I even heard that putting on RAMsinks would make your memory even hotter, as it will absorb more heat from the ambient case air.

yeah thats why the x800 series doesnt have heatsinks on their ram connected to their GPU heatsink as it would overheat the memory.

PNY 6800GT here.

401/1.10 oc

51-52 idle / 32 ambient
78-80 full load

I have a Vantec Cyclone fan about two slots down from the card. Cuts about 2C off the temps. Good stuff.

Also as a side note, if you are planning on playing Doom3, you might want to relax your vid card overclock initially. John Carmack mentioned about D3 using parts of the hardware of the newer video cards previously unused by any game to date. He specifically warned aganst overclocking, so you might want to re-establish your thresholds again once you get D3.

gokdog said:
Also as a side note, if you are planning on playing Doom3, you might want to relax your vid card overclock initially. John Carmack mentioned about D3 using parts of the hardware of the newer video cards previously unused by any game to date. He specifically warned aganst overclocking, so you might want to re-establish your thresholds again once you get D3.

This is what has me worried...that's why I want to take every precaution before I go overclocking to ensure it will be stable at 400Mhz...that's all I want is 400Mhz...pretty please

If you want to test an overclock, try the HDR demo. This should give you a good idea of how high of an overclock you can get with your card since it stresses it so much.

Granted, maybe when Doom3 comes out you may have to back it down a bit, but no more than a few MHz

See my sig for my overclock :D :cool:

Back