Overclocking work in progress

wdn

Limp Gawd
I make no promises I will make it to 40 minutes of Orthos never mind 4 hours needed to make it "official" but this is my current goal that is running right now as I am typing this :D

I don't expect to make it on my first attempt or maybe never but I have had good luck so far. ;)

7994716_1024.ts1169590758000.jpg

Actually, it is air-cooled: a Zalman 9700.

I am not going to count my chickens before I reach 4 hours Orthos-stable LOL

Damn CPU of yours.....

It's so weird that you get those temperatures @ 3.85ghz AIR Cooled.

What voltage are you using anyway?

Seriously man, you gotta have a broken sensor in the CPU or something....it just doesn't make any sense!

Damn CPU of yours.....

It's so weird that you get those temperatures @ 3.85ghz AIR Cooled.

What voltage are you using anyway?

Seriously man, you gotta have a broken sensor in the CPU or something....it just doesn't make any sense!

That's what I was thinking originally.

There are ALOT of inconsistancies in that screencap, so I'm calling shens.

7994716_1024.jpg

BLUE: Shows that the BUS speeds reported by CPUz and Orthos are DIFFERENT. A bus speed of 450 x 8 = EXACTLY 3600mhz, which is what intel TAT AND Orthos is reporting for it's operating frequency.
RED: Different CPU speeds between Orthos, IntelTAT and what CPUz is reporting
PURPLE: Shows that a WORKLOAD LEVEL of 60% IS ENGAGED on both cores. THIS WILL OVERRIDE orthos, lowering your temperatures by a fair margin. I Load at 44c (3500mhz) when this is running with Orthos going.

There's a problem with the actual Times that this was posted / what your clock says.

It's also got some pixles missing in the CPUZ text boxes. JPG compression be damned, entire rows of pixels don't just dissappear... I've seen alot of pixels in my day :p

So, it looks Shooped. But, yknow, 3600mhz @ those temps on air with 60% throttle on is alright too.

xNot so. TAT is reporting the BIOS setting not the current setting.

Allow me to repeat that. What TAT resports as Maximum Frequency is the original BIOS setting not the active clock setting which is set in windows.

The Frequency (MHz) in the big bold print is the current setting.

I boot at 3600 MHz and use EasyTune5 to increase the voltage and clock rates. That is the Gigabyte standard overclocking tool that comes with the DS3. Maybe you are just unfamiliar with Gigabyte motherboards. It lets your overclock in Windows. I find it more convenient to use than doing everything in the BIOS every time. In baseball that's what is called fielder's choice. Since there is a voltage drop on the board from BIOS settings I find EasyTune 5 to be more accurate.

Anybody in this forum who owns a DS3 and that is a great many of us, can do the same thing and confirm what I am saying. You can boot at 2130 default everything and then go into EasyTune 5 and set the voltage and clock to my liking and one panel of TAT will read 2130 and other current will read 3800

And there's no "missing pixels" either -- anywhere. Those are screenshots taken directly with PrtSc key, pasted into MS paint and saved as jpgs at their native 1280x1024 resolution. If photosite the free web hosting site scales them down to lower resolutions for display purposes of displaying it in your browser that is none of my doing. So you are like way out of line accusing me of photoshopping. Not only do I do full screen captures direct from Windows but I post these photos just minutes after I capture them.

And while we are on the subject of familiarity with the DS3 motherboard at extreme overclocking levels. allow me to point out another bit of DS3 lore.

You will notice that there are no voltage settings above 1.60 volts on the DS3 BIOS until you get to 1.80 volts, and above that 2.00 volts. Well because of the Vdroop there is no setting above 1.60 volts in the BIOS that is less than 1.80 volts. And at the bleeding edge I am pushing this chip the only way to set voltages precisely is to use EasyTune 5.

8071841_1024.ts1169892022000.jpg

Here is running at 3808 and booted from BIOS at 3808 LOL. Just a couple minutes after the other screenshot I just posted

Photoshop, my ass. LOL.

8072110_1024.ts1169895001000.jpg

wdn, I'm pretty convinced. :)

When/how are you setting voltage? 1.58 in BIOS, or lower than that then kicking with ET5? I ask because CPU-Z in your screenshots is showing 1.213v, and that's some vdroop.

Just an honest question. Please don't pwn me. :)

Now I stop the previous Orthos. I go into EasyTune 5 and bump up the voltage and the clock speed some more. I start up a new Orthos. Voila, Orthos as before prints out the BIOS speed setting the system booted at not the actual.

8072215_1024.ts1169897499000.jpg

wdn, I'm pretty convinced. :)

When/how are you setting voltage? 1.58 in BIOS, or lower than that then kicking with ET5? I ask because CPU-Z in your screenshots is showing 1.213v, and that's some vdroop.

Just an honest question. Please don't pwn me. :)

No problem Paul I am happy to answer your questions.

When I get up to the insane level of 3848 MHZ on an air-cooled E6400 here is how I am doing it Paul.

I am setting it at beyond 1.59xx in the BIOS which when you get to EasyTune 5 in Windows has already dropped to below whatDS3 BIOS would read. In other words I have gone past what the BIOS even lets you do, and next stop in the BIOS is 1.8V which means the smoke comes out of the CPU and that's all she wrote. :D And the thing will not even boot to Windows or let's say it will boot but the screen will freeze soon after Windows login. Reason? Because of the voltage drop. The few times I have got to it in time it read 1.57 volts in EasyTune which is not high enough.

So naturally I need to boot the machine at a lower setting that will actually boot. If the DS3 BIOS continued in small steps all the way up to 1.8V as it does going up to 1.6, I would not have to do that. But I am already at the highest setting in the BIOS that is less than 1.80 V and that is still not enough for my plans.

Therefore, I do just what I said I did. I set it to 1.55V and 3600 MHz in BIOS. By the time I am in EasyTune 5 it now reads 1.53V. Now I go into easy tune and crank it up to 1.58V which is a notch or two PAST what the BIOS will let you do.

Then I start the bench. Because of the Vdroop whatever it reads in the BIOS the actual voltage has dropped by the time you boot and load Windows. Hope that all makes sense. I am using EasyTune 5 because it gives me a finer control over voltage and get's me into that no man's land between the 1.60V BIOS setting and the 1.80V BIOS setting.

By the way CPUZ does not read voltages correctly above and beyond 1.5V that is a known and apparent bug in CPU-Z. I am telling you what EasyTune 5 reads after I pressed the GO button. I am not claiming CPU-Z is accurate with volts at least with a DS3 Rev2 quite the opposite. It is wildly inaccurate.

A Picture is worth 1,000 words so here is what it looks like

8072343_1024.ts1169898996000.jpg

Cool, thanks for the reply. My hat is off to you, sir.

I'm really impressed you got a DS3 up to 481 FSB. I can't get my S3 stable above 450 no matter what I try, but I'm almost sure there's more headroom in the chip and my RAM. I guess I'm waiting for that miracle BIOS to come along and let me hit 475. :)

I don't think he lies, I just think something is not working right...

Those temperatures are impossible...........His must be a "very special" CPU.

Yeah maybe the temperature sensor in the CPU temp sensor is so buggered up that it fools the CPU into being able to run Orthos stable at 3848 for 5 hours on air cooling. LOL. :D

The Seagate is running at 26C so maybe that is a very special hard drive and the DS3 reading was also 26C. If you read other threads a few people have gotten similar air cooled load temps to mine also +/- a couple of degrees. So no, those temperatures are not "impossible".

Post some more screenshots of your computer and the environment its in. LOL are you living in the garage? And is it actually stable playing games?

First off your timings are out of this world. 5:7:7:20 clocks. You are pretty much stating with those numbers " there is no memory" lol. Those timings are more loose then Jenna Jameson

Not only that. notice his orthos timings.. lmfao 15 minutes.. 8 minutes.. 4 minutes.. ROFL!!!.. come the "f" on.. dude show a friggin SS of your 4 hours.

I had my e6300 at 3.5 ghz for 20 min.. let me post a SS..and say its stable.. ROFL!!

Back