Overkill by today standard but not future standard?

Soyo13

Gawd
So I run games at 1920x1080 on single monitor... Native resolution of my 40" LCD. I'm aware that the current high end card like 6970 would be overkill at this resolution with the current games out there.

Is it still worth buying if I don't upgrade my video card every 2 months... But rather every other year or two. So would the current high end card not be overkill when I start playing games that comes out 2 years later with current gen card?

So I run games at 1920x1080 on single monitor... Native resolution of my 40" LCD. I'm aware that the current high end card like 6970 would be overkill at this resolution with the current games out there.

Is it still worth buying if I don't upgrade my video card every 2 months... But rather every other year or two. So would the current high end card not be overkill when I start playing games that comes out 2 years later with current gen card?

Your single 6970 would probably work for most games for the next 2 years let alone two. Why don't you just use the single 6970 and if you feel you need one in maybe one and a half years pick up another one. They'll be real cheap by then.

Buy one now at full price and not really "need" it, OR, buy one in a yer or two at a much cheaper price and still get to max future games.

a single 6970 would be fine.. I wouldnt even call it a very big overkill tbh.

I would buy a 6950 and unlock it though.

I don't think a 6970 is overkill either. If you just want passable frame rates then it is but if you want Crysis, Stalker, Metro and so on at or as near to 60 fps as possible a 6970 will be needed. Hell even a 6970 can't do 60 fps in Metro. So it depends on you. Personally, I want as much eye candy as possible so I'd be rolling a GTX580 if I could afford it.

Why not just buy the best bang for the buck card? Right now that would likely be some GTX 460 variant.

GTX460 and then later on a second for SLI.
that's what I'm doing when i switch to a 990FX board.

Back