Overworking Chassis Fan/High temps on e6600

AndeeG

n00b
I just set up my new computer, installed programs, utilities, drivers, etc. and I'm loving it, but it's very loud. Here are my specs:

Intel C2D e6600
Asus P5B-E
Corsair HX520
Asus x1900pro
Antec Solo (Rear TriCool, no intake fan)

At first I tried the lowest chassis fan speed and everything sounded great. However, after a couple of minutes of COD2, my CPU temp. reached 60 degrees according to PC Probe and the siren thing went off. I set the chassis fan to medium speed (which is also acceptably quiet) and tried again. It lasted a little longer but the CPU once again reached 60 degrees. Finally I set the fan to high and everything runs fine but it's MUCH louder.

PC Probe reports CPU temp (right now while browsing) at 43 degrees, MB temp at 37 degrees, and CPU HSF at 860rpm. This is with the chassis fan set to high. I have Q-Fan turned to optimal for CPU and Chassis fans but I don't think it changes anything with the chassis fan. I'm fairly sure that the large majority of the noise is coming from the chassis fan as everything was quiet when it was set to low. Is there anything I can do to make everything quieter while maintaining reasonable temperatures?

I just tried COD2 again with the chassis fan on full. Once again it hit 60 degrees after a few minutes. I would expect that my computer should be able to play games with stock settings and fan set to max and not overheat. This seems a little ridiculous.

One would think that Q-Fan would detect the high temperature and ramp up the CPU fan speed but I guess not. I just tried again for a few minutes with Q-Fan disabled and now it's ramped up to nearly 2000rpm from only around 850rpm. Temperatures were around 51 degrees during gameplay. Is this reasonable?

Back