Owners of MS X8 mouse, some questions pls

DG25

Gawd
How well is made the scroll wheel? Does it wobble? Is it noisy?

How many hours goes without charging? For example, if you say it last 3 days, pls say how many hours a day have you used it.

Thanks.

I had one, but sold it as i could not get used to the shape. There was a bump where the ring finger on your right hand is (i.e. the finger beside your pinky) that I just could not get used to.

From memory, the battery was decent and I got around the 20 hour mark I think. The charging mechanism is very good and there is little to no difference in ease of use between wired and wireless (i.e. it does not get in the way when charging).

Scroll wheel was decent. Not the best that i have used, but pretty solid. Can't remember the pros / cons of the scroll wheel, sorry.

Personally, noise does not bother me and is such a subjective term. But if I must recall the sound of the scroll wheel, yes I can hear it, and no, it does not feel wobbly. As far as the battery life, I get about 2-3 days of it as I'm on my PC for about 7-10 hours a day. However, I do turn it off when I put the computer to sleep which may or may not help.

I never took note of the charging duration but I'd say between 30 minutes and an hour.

the scroll wheel is quite well made. It's metallic and that shows in the noise, if you roll it quickly it's not quiet but that's also because it has clear clicks in the motion for gaming and precisely picking weapons. I'm currently quite happy with my sidewinder x8 and if you have any more questions feel free to ask. I can give battery estimates in a few days if you want still.

Don;t like the wheel, but I am spoiled by the G9. Don't like the shape, but I forced myself it to get used to it... its the only wireless mouse worth a damn for performance.

I am a finger gripper, rather I grab with my thumb and ring finger, move and lift with nothing else touching, click with fore and middle finger.

I wish I could get a high perforamnce wireless mouse for my grip style. G9 wireless would be much better, not perfect, but better then this x8.

At least the x8 is better then my steelseries Ikari Laser. Ugh, not comfortable for my grip AT ALL.

Tracking sucks unless you get the perfect surface. Steelseries plastic thin mousepad I bought for like $20. Sheesh. Tracking sucked on cloth. (tracking is awesome with this pad, though...)

Battery... not really a big deal, man, the charger is super easy to use (GREAT design) but I just switch batteries as my high end charger is probably better for the cells then the mouse itself charging.

Lasts like 4-5 days with heavy usage... 4 hours per day or so maybe, maybe more.

OP, if worst comes to worst, you could always use any AA battery registering 1.2-1.5v and it will work fine.

I'm using my X8 on a Ratpadz XT and it works beautifully. It was a tough adjustment at first, but now I cannot see myself using anything less.

The scroll wheel is fine. Ergonomically, when I first started using it, I'd get pain on the backside of my hand but I got used to it.

As for charging, any standard AA NiMH battery seems to work (e.g. Sanyo Eneloops). The base station has a little wired extension that comes out and I find I can work with that attached when I do need to recharge the battery without really noticing.

I don't really use it for gaming... I got it simply because I wanted a mouse that had the precise responsiveness and precision that a wired mouse has, something I don't find in an average consumer grade wireless mouse. This was the first mouse (after going through many) that fit the bill. Eventually, I got one for both home and work.

The wheel is just as solid as any other scroll wheel. It doesn't have the option to switch from free spin to bumpy spin like some Logitechs, but its a light bumping as you spin it. I LOVE the vertical placement of the thumb buttons... thats for sure. The 'fat bottom' design is tough for those with smaller hands, but I have big mits so it suits me just fine... it actually forces me to not claw so much, so for me, and others with larger hands, its perfect. The top button is useless... I wish they would update the software to allow you to make it something else.

Mine charges full in less than 1/2 hour... lasts for days on a charge. It is for sure one of if not THE best mouse I have. Sure, there are some features from other mice that I wish it also had, but overall, I dont mind. Take it from a mouse-whore... its a solid mouse.

The RAT9 might be worth waiting for, esp if you want a 'wireless G9'.

Wheel construction is solid. Having used the Logitech flywheel, however, I can say there's no going back to the stale standard mousewheel. The flywheel is not only ideal for desktop use, it comes in handy in RTS and MMOs for zooming in and out.

Last edited:
Thx you all for the posts, i think i'll go for the X8. My main concern is still the battery life, as i spent a lot of time at my computer (~10 hours a day), but if it charges as fast and easy as you say, it won't be such an inconvenience. We'll see...

later edit: Anyone knows how the X8 compares to the Logitech Performance MX mouse? The Logitech mouse has better battery life, but i don't know if it's suitable for gaming (input lag?)...

Last edited:
You can definitely get wireless mice with better battery life than the X8, but I doubt they'll fare as well in terms of performance. The X8 was built as a gaming mouse and is supposedly one of the most responsive, lag-free wireless mice you can buy (along with the Mamba whose battery life is worse). Many wireless mice from Logitech and Microsoft can go for weeks or even months on a pair of standard AAs without swapping or charging, but they tend to be your general run of the mill mice with mediocre DPI and features.

Back