OZC Petrol 128gb SATA III SSD for $119

But do I want one of these? I guess I've been living under a rock lately -- I've never heard of these drives. Hopefully there are a couple left after I read a few reviews if I find any.

with an incredibly slower controller...? the performance difference seems vast. This looks more like a replacement for those vertex plus drives that are on continual sale.

Right now if you're in Win7 and have trim get any SSD you can. Just find the best one for the $. Samsung, OCZ Indilyx, any Sanforce, Intel. For a desktop envirnoment they all will kick ass and taken names. Just stay away from Jmicron and the old Indy Barefoot controller and you'll do just fine.

Man they really are getting stingier and stingier with rebates.

First the rebate, instead of knocking the sale price off we have a mail in rebate, where statistics show a certain percentage will either not bother or fail on one tiny bit that makes them not eligible ("Wait what, I had to mail it 7 days after the sale, not when I received it 6 days later?")

Now sending out checks is too much because people actually will cash checks, regardless of how tiny they are, so enter the prepaid check card. Again maybe not everyone will use them, or all of the money, so there's an even larger percentage they're not losing, oh yeah often with expiration dates as well on the cards. Plus there's the added bonus of tracking what you're buying on that $10-$25 card and selling that information to make a few more bucks on the side!

umm, a debit card seems a lot more convenient than a check to me.

No, it's a pain in the ass. Half the time it doesn't work the first time you go to use it, so you have to call them and get them to activate it and you wind up losing money in the process since there's now a lock on the card for a dollar and you have to wait 2 weeks for the lock to lift when they finally determine the transaction isn't going through.

Then when you get that all straightened out, most online vendors have issues taking multiple forms of payment when you go to pay for your purchases. So you need to either buy gift cards in the exact amount of your debit card and then use that to pay for your purchase or you need to buy something that's less then the amount you have on the debit card and remember the exact amount that's left so you can use it for something later. If you don't remember, you have to call the company to find out exactly how much is left on your card.

No, it's a pain in the ass. Half the time it doesn't work the first time you go to use it, so you have to call them and get them to activate it and you wind up losing money in the process since there's now a lock on the card for a dollar and you have to wait 2 weeks for the lock to lift when they finally determine the transaction isn't going through.

Then when you get that all straightened out, most online vendors have issues taking multiple forms of payment when you go to pay for your purchases. So you need to either buy gift cards in the exact amount of your debit card and then use that to pay for your purchase or you need to buy something that's less then the amount you have on the debit card and remember the exact amount that's left so you can use it for something later. If you don't remember, you have to call the company to find out exactly how much is left on your card.

I just use the cards for gas. Easy way to use it and get 100% use out of it.

Similarly I use them to pay my power bill. Then when my power bill comes I have a convenient credit for the amount of the card and I pay less at the end of the month.

I just go to the bank and cash the whole amount. You get every last cent and nothing beats cold hard cash.

Yeah these cards are a win for the providers of these types of temporary/gift cards because they know a certain percentage will be A) lost, and B) not used for the full amount available. Not many places you can buy something for EXACTLY $20 lets say.

My favorite method of using 100% of the available balance on a physical gift card? Send a digital Amazon gift card to myself, purchased with the physical giftcard. Amazon lets you buy them in any dollar and cent amount. If I get a physical giftcard for holidays or birthdays, straight to Amazon before I lose it.

As for this OCZ SSD, $119 for 128GB SSD seems tempting but not when factoring in the risks of "buying an OCZ", potential RMA headaches and subpar performance, I'd rather pay the extra for a 128GB Crucial M4 which is a much better drive. Skip going out to eat a few times, BFD.

I usually buy amazon gift cards with them too, except when the debit card provider doesn't get my address registered correctly on the card even though they mailed it to the correct place. Then it only takes a half an hour to get it straightened out with the card company before I can use the remaining balance on the card.

It's just a slower Octane drive, basically. They're still too expensive, the both of them, to make good buys when the SF2281 and Marvell drives are cheap.

Plextor makes Plextor. Toshiba NAND and newer Marvell controller just like the one in the Intel 510 Elm Crest drives. Might not be consistently as fast as the SF2281 drives, but it's more reliable and handles far better in terms of performance degradation and much better with uncompressible data.

http://www.storagereview.com/plextor_pxm3s_ssd_review

I know there was some issues with Sandorce 2x00 when it came out but there are so serious haters in here! I have a vertex 3 240GB and put the new firmware on it and I've NEVER had an issue. We use Sandforce gen 1 1500 series in the datacenter I run, never an issue.

update the firmware and sandforce runs just fine.

though that said, i'm torn back and forth between that plextor and a 120gb agility 3, which also has the rebate.

I just go to the bank and cash the whole amount. You get every last cent and nothing beats cold hard cash.

This is exactly what I was going to say. They are obligated to give you the cash value if you request it somewhere that accepts Visa payments or whatever. Many banks are a Visa partner, I forget the exact wording, so they can usually do it. Now of course they will not advertise this and actively try to hide this fact, but you can do it. I have done it before with Verizon $100 "rebates" when I have bought a new phone, and it always work. So just go do that, and you will get the full amount. There is no fee to do it, so no loss.

Remember with rebates, once you cut off that barcode, no warranty or returns back to Newegg. You will probably not get the rebate from OCZ anyways... they have a Knack for declining for anything including a fly spec on the bar code when received... nope DECLINED.

I have a 3 week OCZ SSD sitting here now.. nice paperweight&no rebate.:mad::mad:

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

I actually bit on the Plextor when the shell shocker was going on. cant wait till it gets here.

Remember with rebates, once you cut off that barcode, no warranty or returns back to Newegg.

I have a 3 week OCZ SSD sitting here now.. nice paperweight&no rebate.:mad::mad

WIthout the UPC, No return to Newegg makes sense.

No warranty coverage from newegg OR OCZ without the UPC? That doesn't make sense.

Remember with rebates, once you cut off that barcode, no warranty or returns back to Newegg. You will probably not get the rebate from OCZ anyways... they have a Knack for declining for anything including a fly spec on the bar code when received... nope DECLINED.

I have a 3 week OCZ SSD sitting here now.. nice paperweight&no rebate.:mad::mad:

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

Just get your replacement straight from OCZ instead of NewEgg.

Rebates are BAD. Not mentioning there is a rebate involved in the title of a listed Hot Deal, even #%#'ing worse. Don't #%D#'ing do it. Jesus #$@$'ing Christ.

Oh' and when it comes to SSD's, according to the real life feedback of "validated" Newegg customers, OCZ has an absolutely horrible #%#'ing failure rate. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

Cold deal.

Back