p-6860FX - great laptop - heres my opinion

Endrithius

Limp Gawd
First of all - pic's to follow for those of you who want them.

Okay so here goes. I traded my desktop for this laptop.

Desktop
Intel Core2Duo e6300 @ 1.83 ghz
2GB XMS2 @ 667
2 Maxtor (not matrox lol) 200 gig SATA drives
eVGA 8800 GTS 320 Superclocked
eVGA 680i mobo
Creative X-Fi music
Samsung 22 inch LCD
G15 and G5 keyboard/mouse combo

Laptop
Intel Core2Duo t5550 @ 1.83 ghz
4GB Ram @ 667
WD 320GB HD SATA
8800M GTS 512MB
17 inch @ 1440x900 display

So as you can see, I pretty much traded straight across - except I ended up with a better video card and more ram - but a smaller screen running a lower resolution. I traded because I live in a studio with my wife so there really isn't a whole lot of room for a full desktop pc set up.

First impressions: This laptop rocks. Great performance, great looks. Fallout 3 - Crysis - CoD:4, all play just fine. I don't run with anti aliasing so that helps but everything is still in a totally playable framerate range. Lots of storage space for a laptop and a second harddrive bay for RAID0 (to be utilized in the near future). The battery will run for about 2 hours. We use it all the time outside on hookah nights for music.

The Good: Great video card, great storage, great ram, great looks, fast machine. Over all - laptop gets a two thumbs up from me.
Definately a must have laptop for the price.

The Bad: Well - I am proud to say that I am a resolution whore. I love high resolutions. There's something about squinting to see the print on the screen that just makes me happy LOL. The unfortunate - and fortunate - part about this laptop is the beautiful 17 inch screen is only 1440x900. The reason thats both good and bad is because it's properly matched for the video card to ensure you get proper framerates during games - but still a fairly low resolution in my opinion. Again - its not a LOW resolution - I am just a whore.

The only issue I've had with the laptop thus far - overheating. I'm talking processor temps of 72C and then boom immediate shutoff due to thermal event. I fixed that however. There was a bit of dust - not even clogged - but just a bit of dust in the heatsinks. Blew it out - now the proc runs at around 40 and 50 under load. If you get one - KEEP AN EYE ON THIS!!!!

Another bonus is how freaking easy it is to change things out in this thing. RAM, processor and harddrives are about a total of 7 screws for all of them. The processor is behind one piece of plastic and then you're there. So if you're not happy with the current proc - just change it out. The ram is all in one place - not in the bottom and under the keyboard like I see too many manufacturers doing these days. And also the dual hd bays - is awesome.

I will try and take some decent pictures this evening, but it really is a great laptop. And a STEAL at about 700 bucks.

If you're a LAN party guy - get one. If you're a college kid - GET ONE. You won't regret it.

Wow Matrox made hard drives?! (I think you meant Maxtor :p )

Questions...
1. How would you compare the build quality of this laptop to a Thinkpad/Macbook Pro?
2. Is it still 700? and where?

PS: Time to update your sig!

HA! Sorry, tired, bored, at work. Brain not working. Yes I ment Maxtor (I miss my old matrox video card). I saw one a bit ago for about 700. And I believe it was best buy - refurb.

As for build quality - It doesn't feel flimsy or anything, the only part that isn't SUPER TIGHT is the battery - and it only moves a tiny tiny bit. It's a solid laptop.

Back