P180 Drive Rails

Northbridge

Limp Gawd
Im building my new system in a p180, and I just installed one of the DVD drives. I've noticed it seems a bit wiggly.

Is this normal? I’ve always just been able to screw the 5.25” drives to the case itself but with these drive rails it seems less secure and as if it will be a little bit noisier. They pop out a bit too easy as well.

To everyone that has a p180 is this normal, and do the drives seem noisier? I cant think of any way to make them a bit more stable.

Hey,if worse comes to worse you can secure them with 2 or 4 rubber or foam blocks. :D

:confused: That's odd. My CD/DVD drive is perfectly fine in my p180. The drive rails also snap into place nicely, prohibiting any motion.

:confused: That's odd. My CD/DVD drive is perfectly fine in my p180. The drive rails also snap into place nicely, prohibiting any motion.

I have noticed that depending on where I put them there is more or less wiggle. The top two slots seem to be the most secure, and don’t really move all that much. The bottom two seem to be the worst. I might try switching drive rails; see if that makes any difference, although I don’t think it will.

Just a preference thing, but I prefer to put my drives in the lowest slots.

Mine are nice and snug also. You didnt put the wrong rails on did you? There are two sizes the small ones are for the 3.5" drives.

Also make sure you push it so the metal clips actually "click" into place...

Sorry for the trouble. I fixed the problem. What happened was one of the metal tabs on the rails I screwed onto the drive was bent inward too much, so I just bent the tab outward a bit more to make sure that it had the same curve as the other rails and now there is no wiggle in the drive. Works perfectly.

After going through my growing pains with drive rails from using them for the first time, I got to say they are a lot nicer then just attaching the drive directly to the case. This way they are always perfectly level, and pretty easy to swap out

Back