Lian-lifront.jpg

lian-liside.jpg

lianliangle.jpg

lianlirear.jpg

lianliwindow.jpg

lianlilightday.jpg

lianlilightdark.jpg

lianlilightdarkangle.jpg

man 80mm fans look small after seeing a case filled with 120s :)

I love my P180, how do you like yours? I like the wire management you have done with your P180, although you can cheat a lil bit since you have a modular power supply :)

Well, the vehicle decided to poop out on me just in time for a 200 man lan :( So I needed something fun to do over the weekend. What better to do than a full case transplant, eh?! The local fry's had the silverstone 06, cmstacker 810, and the antec p180. After doing much oogling, I chose the p180.

Wow, what a pos case to work with imho. There were sooo many little "buggers" about this thing:

- Motherboard tray is solid. Oh how wonderful it would have been to have slots on the outsides of the tray to accomodate the +12 4pin in particular. The box recommends the neo, yet you must stretch the CRAP out of it if you're planning on using your pci slots :(

- Zero breathing room on the back side. Normally you get 1~2 inches play, even on other antc cases. Tho the tower is large, it's too slim. There is no play room. The case side wouldn't fit if I had even that itty bitty usb cable on the side.

-35 massive pounds. And when stuffed with all the parts, it's lan party hellbox.

Comparisions:

-Sure it's pretty quiet when the fans are on low, but my lian li was only slightly louder and gave better temps.

-Working with the li was a breeze in comparision. Everything just fits "right." Anyone who's owned one knows exactly what I'm babbling about.

man , nice cabling and very nice high res pics.

but yea, i agree, the case is alot harder to work with.

Erasmus354 said:
man 80mm fans look small after seeing a case filled with 120s :)

I love my P180, how do you like yours? I like the wire management you have done with your P180, although you can cheat a lil bit since you have a modular power supply :)

Hehe, true, true. Actually it's already back at Fry's. I've spent so much time with my lili and just couldn't toss it aside like that. As far as wiring it, yeah, I only had 2 sata drives, so I was able to take that middle cage out. I also got to tuck that +12 volt under the board thanks to pics of another [H]er. :p

So here's what I found out about the overclocking friendly p180...

Fans and noise

I found the following settings to be the most similar in audible noise:

Lian Li ~ 4x80mm antec pro fans, 1x80mm coolermaster neon, all full rpm via vantec 305 controller.

P180 ~ The audible noise was similar to that of the P180 with 2x120/25 tricool fans on medium, 1x120/35 tricool fan on medium, 1x120/25 Vantec Stealth full rpm.

The GPU's Zalman 700 and CPU's Yate Loon 120 were running full rpm as well.

Temps

Room temperature was about 70ish.

Lian Li running P95/rthdribl for about an hour (I think)

Lilitemps.jpg

Lian Li P95/rthdrible for 5+ minutes and hdtach on raptor74 and deskstar 7k250

lilitempsafterhdtach.jpg

P180 P95/rthdrible

And now it's time for the "Kick yourself in the pants Jod" edition of [H] posting...

I deleted the ss temps of the P180 because I was in a pissy mood after spending all night wiring the damn thing. Only to find out my temps weren't much better. I'm doing my best to recover them using drive rescue. If anyone has any other recovery utilities, please let me know. :confused:

Here's the best I can remember...

Motherboard ~ 34
CPU ~ 56
PWN1 ~ ?
PWN 2 ~ ?
GPU ~ 60
WDC ~ ?
Hitachi ~ ?

For the most part they were very similar. The main differences were in the GPU. The P180 def ran it hotter.

There's a couple more caveats. The Lian Li probably had a better bias due to the following...

-P180 was unmodded.
That means front filters and grills were in place. Also the door was closed on P180. While both of these would have been responsible for restricting airflow, they would have also added to the noise. That would have forced me to reduce speeds of the fans further, so this is debateable.

-P180 was only with me for the better part of a day.
So surely there were tricks I missed and such.

-Lian Li was modded. The front and rear grills were removed.
80's benefit much more from removed grills imo because of a smaller "radius" of airflow. Correct me if I'm wrong please! :p

-I've owned this girl for over 2 years.
What can I say, it's my baby!

I'll do my best to find the other ss. But thanks for reading my post and I hope you learned something out of my wacky experiences!! Please let me know if you have any questions or find some "unintended" bs in there.

Cheers,

Jod ;-)

Although these cases look awesome, the PC-65 is obviously the best choice for LAN parties due to its weight. Antec P180 is awesome-looking with its nice neat design, but yeah, it's fattened up with dampeners inside the side panel or something like that, plus the steel. Pretty much only for office-use, but I agree that Antec needs to do a bit more redesigning on their P180.

EDIT: May I ask you how did you do the black WinXP theme? I can't seem to change my Luna's colors.

Thanks guys. I'm def much happier with my lili ;-) Here's another shot of my girl...

IMG_1714-2.jpg

Mr. Stryker:
I used the UXTheme Multi-Patcher (Neowin Edition) 4.0. The theme is called pitch black. Couldn't find it, but I've got a 7zip file that's 1/2 a meg if you want me to email it to ya.

Jod

wow your temps seem really high. My computer with Athlon64 venice 3200+ overclocked to 2.4Ghz with the stock cooler runs at about 49C load. And I only have one fan in my P180, the top exhaust fan, and that is set to low.

Then again...my temps and I am assuming your temps are all measured by damned mobo thermistors :mad: why cant they make a decent temperature probe!!!

Well, keep in mind I have a p4 too. :cool: <--glasses for the heat With stock cooling on my p4, I'd be around 67 easy. You're not even over 50c with stock cooling! Now just imagine your temps with an xp120!! I bet you'd drop 7c...and maybe get some more oc! :eek:

The last board I had with wildly outrageous temps was an ic7. That thing was +10c. Since then I've had a dfi and a few more recent abits that read a little more accurate ;)

Back