P180 "Warranty Build" -No real mods- Silence/Performance/Tidy

Deusfaux

Gawd
(sorry in advance if you guys see this at one of the other tech forums I frequent, or if its not modded enough for the modding forum)

So performance is always going to be my #1 goal; this was true when I put together my first rig in Dec '05 with an X2 4800 (fastest dual core at the time, cost me something like $900 CAD), and continues today, though I've learnt more and know where to get better performance without spending so much.

But more recently I've discovered sites like spcr and also become more atuned to the growing movement towards more silent pcs. I had already made some good choices with some of my parts... I had originally vowed to try and get 120mm fans everywhere I could (just my case and PSU at the time), and started out with a great foundation, the P180.

Unlike some others who are okay with modifying their cases with a dremel or diving into their PSU or other parts to change them around, I prefer to keep things closer to "stock" and under warranty. Nothing against modding, I'd like doing it too, but not when it comes at the expense of my coverage with the manufacturer.

So I just finished putting together my latest iteration with advice and research done at this site and some others. The loudest part(s) in my case are the higher pitched whines of my idle HDDs (likely the Raptors). This doesnt seem possible to really change without downgrading in performance (though I now see talk of HDD suspension...) so I've very pleased with everything. The fridge a room over is louder by a good deal. I only hear the pc with all doors closed and nothing else electronic turned on, and even then you have to turn your head to pick up the HDD idle sound.

First things first, internal parts list:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 & Scythe S-Flex SFF21F (Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme preordered)
Asus Asus P5W DH Deluxe
2x1GB OCZ EL Plat Rev 2 PC6400
2x 1500ADFD 10,000RPM Raptors RAID 0, 320GB Seagate 7200.10
ATi Radeon X1900XTX w/ Accelero X2 (becoming R600 when it releases)
Creative X-Fi Platinum
LG H30 SATA Super Multi (becoming H62 when it releases)
Corsair HX620
Antec P180 (all 3 stock fans, VGA cooler removed, no mods) (P182 SE preordered)

-All pics taken extremely hastily with SD800IS

IMG_0374.jpg

Overview shot of PC area. edit: yes this chair is a poverty case. sigh

IMG_0375.jpg

2nd angle. Meow!

IMG_0376.jpg

Behind chair shot, close to what you see while sitting.

IMG_0392.jpg

Front of case. Minimal!

IMG_0379.jpg

Case rear. Four USB's are: LCD's hub, mobo remote sensor, mouse, keyboard. Power cable gets tucked somewhat under case, which sits on 2 spare wood slats from hardwood flooring; keeping it off the carpet and elevated a bit - it looks great from the front like it's floating a bit because the slats are far enough back as to be hidden.

IMG_0395.jpg

Overview!

IMG_0380.jpg

Top of case. all white antec tri-cool fan controllers are tucked away, but still accessible

IMG_0382.jpg

mid case. only 3 cables using "gate" - none going back down to other side of lower chamber. Will likely change to 1 cable using gate with forthcoming P182.

IMG_0381.jpg

bottom of case. Stupid non-modular 12vEPS gets tucked on top for now, isn't blocking airflow as fan is on bottom of PSU (which is elevated, remember, and also getting fresh air from 120mm in front of it). Not using PSU bracket because of new case coming, dont want to bother now.

IMG_0383.jpg

optical and X-Fi front bay add-on cable routing. Sorry about the dust, that's gross. I blew it out everywhere else though! Plus new case is coming so I dont care.

IMG_0384.jpg

3 HDDs in bottom cage. Raptors on outsides (hottest), Seagate in middle. Color coded! Nice PSU cable with 3 sata power connections on it and nothing more.

IMG_0388.jpg

PSU area. Only 2 modular cables being used. One 3x SATA power, going beyond bracket on side of case and back in on other side. One 2x molex, going up side of case, to power 3 fans, X-fi front bay and optical.

IMG_0389.jpg

Mobo connections. Front panel buttons, 4x SATA color coded, X-Fi cable nearby. Not using case firewire (never even HAD a firewire device in this house that wasnt USB as well) nor USB (monitor is 4 port Hub and closer).

IMG_0390.jpg

CPU and top/rear case fan wiring, sneaking around in the corners, tucked away. Case fans connected eventually behind front bays/against case side.

IMG_0391.jpg

Overview of cooling. Using AS5 for now, case closed idle CPU 21, mobo 41 (alot of that is the damn X2 accelero exhauting into case :(). Scythe running mid strength at 1200RPM (/1600). All case fans on low.

External parts so you dont have to ask me in later posts after the pics:

Dell WFP 3007
Logitech Z-5500d w/ Btech stands
Logitech MX518 w/ Steelpad 4S
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech Quickcam Fusion
Microsoft Wireless XBOX 360 PC Gamepad
Linksys WRT45G v4 on Shaw Cable 10mb/1mb

What I *don't* like:
-All the things that get changed in the P182 (thick fan at bottom, no holes for routing cables)
-The bit of black tape you can see at the top for the fan wiring
-All the unsleeved wires (3 fans, sata power adapter for optical, X-Fi cable)
-My ghetto X-Fi cable. Cut 40 wires into 10 groups of 4, then spun to cut down on size, but it's still ugly grey, and bound with dirty elastics. I will get heatshrink and sleeving or send it away to get it done for me.
-Non-modular 12vEPS 8pin on the PSU
-No internal leds except mobo power. It's a dark world in there :(
-X2 accelero exhausts into case vs stock ATI cooler exhausting out back. mobo temps up

Also the 520W OCZ modstream I just replaced needs a home, if anyone's looking gimme a shout or I'll just list on ebay.

What do you guys think? Here's my previous build of a year ago or more

inside.jpg

(stupid serial I/O, 2 IDE cables all over the place, more visible SATA (yet less of them), more power cables, mismatched blue extension on power...)

nice job and good cable management. i did the same thing to my x-fi cable but i wrapped it up with some black electric tape to make it a little neater. plus i was to lazy to get some heatshrink. if you want to take silence to another level you could suspend the hards drive, plus the first rule in silencing a pc is always take out the stock fan grills:D.

Man, you did some good work on that P180.

Oh and hello fellow P180 owner!

Tape up those extra holes! The ones in the PSU area on the top, and the ones in the back by the add in cards. Because you have more fans blowing out than in, lots of air is going to be sucked in through there. With a cat and the carpet your going to be seeing lots of dustbunnies soon if you let all that air bypass the dustfilters on the front.

Nice pics and nice temps. What settings are you running the case fans at? Also, have you tried putting a 120mm intake at the front top filter to see how the temps and noise changed?

BTW, Thermaltake has some kind of cooler for the X1900xt to directly exhaust hot air out.

What PSU are you using in your previous build? The OCZ Modstream? Does the 20/24 pin motherboard connector fit or barely fit?

ATX from the OCZ fit just fine as you can see in the image.

the 12v 4pin needed an extension though, i got a 4pin 12v + 12v ATX 150mm extension kit customized from silverstone/ppcs

Just came in the mail....

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Will make a new thread about the P182 in the regular case forum, and update this one with the new build inside it when I've done it

Back