P180 Water cooling, WHEN???

R!P13y

Limp Gawd
I was wondering when someone is going to Water cool a Antec P180. I have some great ideas but no money, just wondering if someone has put one together or is planning on it.

I would love to put duel 120mm Rads in the top and back, and use my existing water cooling setup, so all i would need is that case and a 120mm rad :D oh and a duel 5 1/4in res

R!P13y said:
I was wondering when someone is going to Water cool a Antec P180. I have some great ideas but no money, just wondering if someone has put one together or is planning on it.

I would love to put duel 120mm Rads in the top and back, and use my existing water cooling setup, so all i would need is that case and a 120mm rad :D oh and a duel 5 1/4in res

have fun even getting one dual 120mm rad mounted on the inside...there just plainly almost no room in there to mount any extra stuff...and cutting up the case would just defeat the purpose of having the quiet p180.

There was a post in case modding a few days ago about someone who installed an APEX kit in a P180.

anthongy817 said:
have fun even getting one dual 120mm rad mounted on the inside...there just plainly almost no room in there to mount any extra stuff...and cutting up the case would just defeat the purpose of having the quiet p180.

Umm let see here, I have a 120mm rad in my Super Lanboy, and you dont think i could fit one in a P180 you are nuts, i am sure i could make 2 fit, and the reason i do water cooling if for quiet, not for low temps, I have one rad right now and no fans other then the PSU and it runs at 120*F MAX load. I think i could make one of the most quietest P180s on the market.

I know for a fact there is 2x as much room in the P180 then i have in my SLB

I will make it fit

Erasmus354 said:
There was a post in case modding a few days ago about someone who installed an APEX kit in a P180.

could you show me some pics of your rig, i would like to see how a real person has there setup, I have read/seen many reviews but they just throw it together

since there is a 120mm hole on the top you could dremel out another one and stick a dual 120mm rad on the top inside of the case. I am thinking about doing that but have not decided yet.

Also if you are using a bigger pump like the D5 just dont use the bottom or middle drive cages and mount your pump inside.

Hmmm, sorry to burst your bubble Ripley, but the P180 doesn't have as much room as the SLB.

The SLB has side mounting on the hard drives, which gives us more room to work with because there is no cables getting in the way, but, with the P180, the hard drives don't mount sideways, therefore, we have cables.

SLB

Length: 17.1"
Hieght: 16.5"
Width: 8.2"

P180

Length: 19.9"
Hieght: 21.3"
Width: 8.1"

I do not see how the SLB has more room to work with. I mean if even if the cages are not side mounted 1 or 2 sata cables will not hinder what you are trying to do.

If i were to watercool a p180 i would mount the rad on the inside top of the case (you would need to do some modifying for that) or mount it on the back of the case with the brackets that come with the swiftech kits. I would mount the pump in the top drive cage (If you want you can remove one of the drive cages then mount the pump.) Then i would mount a res in the 5.25" bay or run a fill port up to the top of the case

Also you would probably be better off with a modular PSU to minimize the cable use.

osirus35 said:
SLB

Length: 17.1"
Hieght: 16.5"
Width: 8.2"

P180

Length: 19.9"
Hieght: 21.3"
Width: 8.1"

I do not see how the SLB has more room to work with. I mean if even if the cages are not side mounted 1 or 2 sata cables will not hinder what you are trying to do.

If i were to watercool a p180 i would mount the rad on the inside top of the case (you would need to do some modifying for that) or mount it on the back of the case with the brackets that come with the swiftech kits. I would mount the pump in the top drive cage (If you want you can remove one of the drive cages then mount the pump.) Then i would mount a res in the 5.25" bay or run a fill port up to the top of the case

Also you would probably be better off with a modular PSU to minimize the cable use.

Yeah finally someone breaks out facts and measurements, I was about to get some but then I see you posted them

I like your ideas and think they would work well, I can tell from looking at pics how big things are and I can tell the P180 is a bigger more capable computer case for higher end quieter water cooling

I would like to get my hands on one :D

I'm about to order the Apex kit. What do you think about taking the top drive cage out since I dont use mine and putting the pump there? That should work right?

you could keep the top drive cage in.. and line the cage with foam to dampen the vibrations from the pump. or you could remove the drive cage and but foam down on the bottom of the pump and mount it there too. Either way it should work.

Can not wait to see pics of what you end up putting together, i still would like to see the P180 with watercooling in it and not thrown together

Me and the p180 are gonna have a brawl over thsi I can telll. Its not gonna want to fit.

Well I just checked the inside out and it looks like it should fit, I can screw the pump into the top hard drive cage. I think I'll have take the black box thing out though. Oh well.

I have a P180 and have the APEX kit installed. I put my pump in the upper HD cage, and have the Rad hanging on the back. Getting a rad to fit inside would be pretty tough. I'm not sure a 2x120 would fit on the top using the exsiting fan mount, so it may be a pretty intesive mod. My case is too new for me to start hacking away at it, and with the Rad box with the Apex kit, i'm happy with the external mount. One of these days, i'll go steal my buddies digicam and post some pics.

It was pretty easy to install. my idle cp (OC'd to 2640 w/1.375V) idles ats 29, full load at 38.

I saw a pic a while back of a PA160 rad installed at the top front intake of the P180. You have to drill out some rivets to remove the floppy drive mount and bottom 5.25" bay but the rad fits like a glove.

I was inspired and I'm in the process of doing this myself but it's taking forever due to limited funds.

Here is a pic of my ongoing project with Zalman reserator in a P180 ...

DSC00415.JPG

and here is a pic of MSI quality ... where going to fire the computer up and put in the powercord when it litterarly fired ...

DSC00424.JPG

sorry for the bad english...

O-P-M said:
So that MSI quality was your fault.

i dont think so ... everything was connected right and nothing was wrong ... no water leaks ... i didnt even press on, all i did was connecting the powercord and some smoke appeared ...

Can a single 120mm rad fit with the 120mm fan brace on the bottom? ( next to the PSU chamber and the HDD)

RVWinkle said:
I saw a pic a while back of a PA160 rad installed at the top front intake of the P180. You have to drill out some rivets to remove the floppy drive mount and bottom 5.25" bay but the rad fits like a glove.

I was inspired and I'm in the process of doing this myself but it's taking forever due to limited funds.

where did you see this? I had been measuring my case right in that same spot to see about fitting a PA160 in there and I came up with it being about 1cm shy on space to fit the PA160 if you removed the floppy and bottom 5.25" bay. I could have been wrong though and if it does fit I would be pleasantly surprised :)

Did you have to cut some holes with a dremel? Or did you hang the rad upside down and have the 2 hoses going thru a PCI slot?

well this is getting to be the # 1 most off topic thread i have seen in a very short while

O-P-M said:
Think you could answer my question?

why and how would i be able to????

Just PM him and quit asking,

yet another junked [H] thread from the longed noobs of offtopic land

you know i came to [H] hoping for fewer forum noobs, I got it and really like it, but sometimes they alll come at once ;)

I dont see how this thread got very far off topic R!P13y, most people were discussing watercooling in the P180 in some form or another....

Erasmus354 said:
I dont see how this thread got very far off topic R!P13y, most people were discussing watercooling in the P180 in some form or another....

what i was hoping for but whatever, you guys talk all you want i will stop checking this thread

PICTURES ;)

I would love to put duel 120mm Rads in the top and back, and use my existing water cooling setup, so all i would need is that case and a 120mm rad oh and a duel 5 1/4in res

Ya well it didn't work. The swiftech MCW55 didn't fit the tubing in my kit. Could I just go ahead and get 1/2 tubing?

? didnt the kit come with everything? so how could it not fit. Umm.. that pump (even the kit) is designed for 1/2" tubing. So it would benifit you to do so

osirus35 said:
? didnt the kit come with everything? so how could it not fit. Umm.. that pump (even the kit) is designed for 1/2" tubing. So it would benifit you to do so

No the kit is designed for and comes with 7/16" tubing, which fits over 1/2" barbs quite well.

The kit came with tubing that was too big for my VGA waterblock.

The VGA waterblock specs
Tubing compatibility: 1/2" OD (3/8" ID), tube inserts included for use with soft vinyl tubing.

The Kit tubing...
The 7/16" ID tubing features the same or better flexibility than 3/8" ID tubing, no distinguishable difference in terms of system flow rate compared to 1/2" ID tubing, but significantly reduces the bulk associated with 1/2" ID thick wall tubing.

Back