P2Pers Buy More Music

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
A recent study has suggested that users of popular P2P solutions actually buy more music. I suppose no matter who wants to deny it, the try before you buy method really does work.

When assessing the P2P downloading population, there was "a strong positive relationship between P2P file sharing and CD purchasing. That is, among Canadians actually engaged in it, P2P file sharing increases CD purchases." The study estimates that one additional P2P download per month increases music purchasing by 0.44 CDs per year.

if im debating buying a new CD from an artist i sure as hell download a song before i buy it. (new linking park? go to hell. ) do that with all CD's i buy :p if i dislike the song enough to not buy the CD, i delete the song anyway.

I did it with oblivion...I torrented it then I went out and spent 60 bucks on the collectors edition because I liked it so much. I even bought the expansion and add ons...:cool:

if im debating buying a new CD from an artist i sure as hell download a song before i buy it. (new linking park? go to hell. ) do that with all CD's i buy :p if i dislike the song enough to not buy the CD, i delete the song anyway.

I used to do that. Until my school locked down the Internet and if get caught P2P you have to go meet with ITS and swear on your mothers grave that you won't do it again. So now I'm forced to just go buy the CD.

By the way the new Linkin Park is great. Not old school Linkin but still good.

For any reasonabily popular band you can preview on youtube. Most smaller ones have samples of some sort on their website providing preview options other than p2p. Beyond that can't you preview most disks via legal streaming services? They're not free, but if you avoid buying several crap CDs a year you still can come out ahead of the game.

I went to the article and read it, but the way it is described is problematic. The wish seems to be showing that P2P causes people to buy more CDs. All the the research really seems to indicate is a positive correlation between people that P2P and the purchase of CDs. Based on that, it could be that people that are just generally more interested in music tend to do both.

For any reasonabily popular band you can preview on youtube. Most smaller ones have samples of some sort on their website providing preview options other than p2p. Beyond that can't you preview most disks via legal streaming services? They're not free, but if you avoid buying several crap CDs a year you still can come out ahead of the game.

No, the legal services are way too limited. 90% of the time when I try to search an artist from the services they don't have it.

Back