p4 1.8 Northy @ 2708 on air. Is this typical?

PnoT

Weaksauce
How many of you have just plain air and an older p4 1.8 northy that will do gig overclocks? I'm wondering if water would get me over the 1 gig barrier or not.

I'm running 1.7v atm and it's stable but i'm kinda worried i might have gone too far. All these ppl talking about northy's taking a plunge over 1.65 heh.

PnoT said:
I'm running 1.7v atm and it's stable but i'm kinda worried i might have gone too far. All these ppl talking about northy's taking a plunge over 1.65 heh.

Far from all P4's "crap out" when you clear 1.7v you know. I've had mine running on 1.8v for about 3 months steady and it's never been more stable. I guess I've just got a nice chip....but you see what I'm saying. You have to be willing to take the risk if you really want more of an OC out of your good ol' 1.8 Northy.

Playing it safe is boring. :p

From what I've gathered an experienced, the p4a's and b's were the ones that suffered the most from SNDS, once the C's came out this was really a forgotten plague so to speak. It's up to you as to how far your willing to push it. If all else fails and it fry's just gives a good reason to upgrade :D

I initially have had it running at 2.1 forever (1 year + few months maybe) with the retail hsf combo and that was as high as the thing would go due to heat. Lately with all the htpc stuff i've been doing with it the temp warning would go off around 70C so i bought a SLK948U and the temps are like night and day. I did have the cpu running @ 1.65v that entire time so maybe i'm lucky. Guess if this one does burn i can always pick up a 3.0C for change these days. Thanks for the input.

Thats pretty high for an old Northwood. My old 1.6 would do 2.4Ghz on default voltage though. And I had it in a mobo that crapped out after about 150FSB. I should have tested it in my IC-7 before I got rid of it. It may have done 2.7Ghz+ too.

I ran my 3.0c at 1.7 for a while, but I turned it back down since I'm still on air, once I get my water I'll see how far I can push it....

Glyphic said:
I ran my 3.0c at 1.7 for a while, but I turned it back down since I'm still on air, once I get my water I'll see how far I can push it....

what an amazing underclock! ;)

my 2.0a northwood can do 2.67 with the stock intel cooling and stock voltage on an abit it-7 max2

Ya that's the board i'm running my 1.8 on atm. IT7-MAX2 with a few sticks of Corsair BH5. I'm only up to 150fsb now and i guess that's about as far as i can go on this chip without moving past 1.7v. I might try and see how high i can push it then be satisfied with 2.7 and leave it there heh. I would love to get 1+ gig on the oc thou just to see it happen.

My 1.6 did 2.8 at stock voltage with the stock Intel Cooler. If it didn't have the wusstastic 400FSB I'd still be using it. GREAT little CPU.

I got mine up to 2600 with no AGP/PCI lock on a P4S533

I loved that chip, too. Just had a crappy FSB.

My first one wouldn't even do 2400 reliably (100 -> 133), i traded with a friend who doesn't overclock and his chip was great ;D

I had a p4 1.6a at 2.5ghz forever, dont remember the voltage. used an alpha novatech heatsink on it. temps were around 58c full load, prime95 ran as long as you wanted it.

those early northwood chips were great overclockers. This 2.8 prescott i have now is a turd tho :eek:

diredesire said:
I got mine up to 2600 with no AGP/PCI lock on a P4S533

I loved that chip, too. Just had a crappy FSB.

My first one wouldn't even do 2400 reliably (100 -> 133), i traded with a friend who doesn't overclock and his chip was great ;D

Ya i hate the fact i can't get my FSB up in the 200'ish range with this chip. I'm really limited. Hopefully i can get my hands on a new cpu soon and get up past 200 or more.
Not sure what to get thou. Here is a snapshot i should have included on first post but was pretty lazy =p

I'm also wondering if i should run my memory at the 1:1 i have it at now or 3:4 to get it up higher. From what i've read 1:1 is better correct?

cpuz.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

If you can get one, try to find an older p4M chip. Those things overclocked like mad. If I can find the pics I'll show you all. I had a p4m "Defaults 12 x 100" @ 217FSB basically a 2.4C chip. Talk about a freaking overclocker. Only thing that limited me then was the fact that I was intimidated by 1.75V+ to achieve anything higher. It was prime95 stable and play anygame you wished.

**EDIT**

found the screen shot of my p4m
intel.JPG

Pretty nice mobile specs/OC you've got there bro.....I know a lot of ppl who'd kill for numbers like that with their "full fledged" desktop chips. :p

I have a 1.8 C stepping out of a Compaq computer that will oc into the 3.2GHz range :)

cornelious0_0 said:
Good ol' Compaq's eh? :p

Got any CPU-Z shots of it or any scores?

I really havent bothered with benchmarking that system. Its been running my file server for awhile, running on an Asus P4P800. I recently upgraded it to a Dual Xeon 1.6 running at 2.4ghz each. I got the cpu for free from a guy who upgraded his compaq. i was amazed when it would run 100% stable at 2.4ghz @ default voltage. I started cranking her up and ended up at 1.65 volts at 3.2GHz with great stability. I did run cpuz on it once just to verify it was a C stepping like I suspected. Now that I think about it. a 1.4GHz overclock is pretty amazing LOL.

Nexx said:
I really havent bothered with benchmarking that system. Its been running my file server for awhile, running on an Asus P4P800. I recently upgraded it to a Dual Xeon 1.6 running at 2.4ghz each. I got the cpu for free from a guy who upgraded his compaq. i was amazed when it would run 100% stable at 2.4ghz @ default voltage. I started cranking her up and ended up at 1.65 volts at 3.2GHz with great stability. I did run cpuz on it once just to verify it was a C stepping like I suspected. Now that I think about it. a 1.4GHz overclock is pretty amazing LOL.

You still got the CPU? got any old pics of the CPU-Z? It's not that I don't believe you.....far from it.....I just wanna see that 1.4GHz OC in pic form....looks so much nicer. :p ;)

v3rt1g0 said:
OMFG to the two guys that actually corrected this guy's JOKE! :rolleyes:

you KNOW what a ;) means, RIGHT?

Apparently some done. ;)

It's sad how ridiculously difficult it can be sometimes to convey sarcasm over MSN and forum posts, it's so often a losing battle with some people. :rolleyes:

guess I should have been more specific, my pc is apart right now, installing my Wwatercooling, I meant to say I was running 1.7 volts with 246 fsb at around 3.7 mhz, hopefully when I'm on water I can bump it up alot more.

PnoT said:
I'm also wondering if i should run my memory at the 1:1 i have it at now or 3:4 to get it up higher. From what i've read 1:1 is better correct?

If you can, run the divider at 3:4, that will put your memory at DDR400 levels and should improve performance (considerably if your board is single channel).

Nitro16 said:
If you can, run the divider at 3:4, that will put your memory at DDR400 levels and should improve performance (considerably if your board is single channel).

Alright i'll give it a shot and put up some ss later on. I just always thought 1:1 was better but it's been a while since i've done any OC. Thanks for the advice.

cornelious0_0 said:
You still got the CPU? got any old pics of the CPU-Z? It's not that I don't believe you.....far from it.....I just wanna see that 1.4GHz OC in pic form....looks so much nicer. :p ;)

I might just have to install it and fire her back up one more time for this. I'll see what I can do. :D

Nexx said:
I might just have to install it and fire her back up one more time for this. I'll see what I can do. :D

For sure dude.....have at it. I'm probly not the only one that'd like some pics I bet. :p

Back