P4-651 or PD-820? Which One?

ultimate360

Weaksauce
Hello, I'm new here so greetings to everyone!

Anyways, I wanted to know which one is better of the 2.

P4 651 (3.4GHZ/775) *OEM
- 800MHz FSB Speed
- 2MB L2 Cache
- HT Technology
- 65-nm Technology

PD 820 (2.8GHZ/775) *OEM
- 800MHz FSB Speed
- 2MB L2 Cache
- Dual Core
- 90-nm Technology

The only thing that sucks is that I can only choose from these 2 processors listed above.
I am thinking that the P4 is much better than the PD, but I need others advice.

Thanks In Advance,
Ultimate360

Pentium D's 800 series are furnaces...
Unless you have really good cooling (high-end air or water) and motherboard that can overclock easy, 820 wont do you much good. 651 is probably a better (and much cooler) choice. Even at stock speeds, 651 with it's Hyper-threading will be snappier...

mzs_biteme said:
Pentium D's 800 series are furnaces...
Unless you have really good cooling (high-end air or water) and motherboard that can overclock easy, 820 wont do you much good. 651 is probably a better (and much cooler) choice. Even at stock speeds, 651 with it's Hyper-threading will be snappier...

That's the same thing I was thinking. I have heard that the P4 that I listed can over clock good.

Are you going to overclock? B/c that matters.

IF you're not going to overclock, I'd go with the 820.

But if you're going to overclock its a harder decision.
b/c the 651 is a cedar mill (65nm) core which they overclock like banshees! I'd say 4.0 to 4.5Ghz should be easy!

Now the 820, will probably do about 3.6Ghz+ but will be a furnace, like stated above. You will probably be able to hit 3.73Ghz at 1066FSB, kind of like a 965 EE, but it will be HOT!!!!

So it really depends on what you do. If you're just planning on gaming and overclocking, I'd probably go with the 651. But if you do anything that can take advantage of the dual core you might want the 820.

chrisf6969 said:
Are you going to overclock? B/c that matters.

IF you're not going to overclock, I'd go with the 820.

But if you're going to overclock its a harder decision.
b/c the 651 is a cedar mill (65nm) core which they overclock like banshees! I'd say 4.0 to 4.5Ghz should be easy!

Now the 820, will probably do about 3.6Ghz+ but will be a furnace, like stated above. You will probably be able to hit 3.73Ghz at 1066FSB, kind of like a 965 EE, but it will be HOT!!!!

So it really depends on what you do. If you're just planning on gaming and overclocking, I'd probably go with the 651. But if you do anything that can take advantage of the dual core you might want the 820.

Wow, that's going to be a fast P4 if I can overclock it well enough. Yup I am going to take advantage of overclocking and gaming. So mabey that P4 is good for me? I'm still not sure yet.

ultimate360 said:
Wow, that's going to be a fast P4 if I can overclock it well enough. Yup I am going to take advantage of overclocking and gaming. So mabey that P4 is good for me? I'm still not sure yet.

Why can't you get like a 915, 920 or other Presler (65nm) chip. B/c those rock. Mine hit 3.73Ghz at default voltage, and only needed a slight bump to hit 3.9Ghz, then a little more to hit 4Ghz.

stresstest40.jpg

BTW, its still for sale. If you want it make me an offer.

Back