P5B-VM Help

:confused:My original post in the Mobo Forum:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1246118

SPECS:
Proc: E6400 - Jan 07
Mobo: P5B-VM
Memory: 2 GB
GFX: 8800GTS 320MB

Yesterday my computer was freezing up at POST while it was detecting/configuring USB stuff. I reset the CMOS and disabled the USB stuff and got it to boot correctly and kept it at default settings. However, now it freezes up every so often on the XP booting screen. It also stalls out in games(freeze, choppy sound, weird colored but non-random pixels) and requries a hard boot to fix.

It seems to be an issue with the MB since it started with the USB controller and this hypothesis seems to be sound since ASUS update isn't detecting the mobo(gives me some unintellegible error to click out of). CPU-Z however has no problem detecting it.

The problem is that I want to try and update the bios to see if that would help. However, the only method I have now is to flash via the BIOS. However, while I haven't experienced it since making it boot right, it did freeze up on the bios a few times or atleast lose the keyboard connection.

Any advice?

I am deciding to repost this here because I probably should have posted for help in the SFF forum in the first place since I see more about mATX mobos here than there.

Hopefully you guys can help me with this. I reflashed it and its freezing on post when it tries to initialize my USB stuff. I managed to get to Windows by using the overclock failure feature on the board. This is really starting to worry and baffle me.

It could be the motherboard, however just to be sure to rule out everything else:

1. Pull the video card and try to boot with onboard video.

2. If it still doesn't work try with 1 stick of RAM.

There is a chance it could be RAM or the power supply even though to me it looks like more of a mobo issue.

You may also want to try disabling the onboard USB ports to see if that helps also.

I haven't pulled my video card yet but I have reseated the ram. It may have fixed it but I'm not sure since the problem was a little intermittent to begin with. My personal theory is a bad capacitor since it had problems booting iwth a 500W power source. Is there anyway to determine that though?

bad cap?

not really any way to know for sure unless the top of it is bulging or it pops.

Back