P5E VM HDMI @ 500 FSB Stable - Help!

Zybortrix

Weaksauce
[H]i,

I love my P5E VM, it's an awesome board and since i've come to realise that there is no dreaded bottleneck on a 16x PCI 1.1 lane for a 4 series ATI card i no longer care to upgrade this board for a P5Q EM (i'm still getting the DFI P45 Sex Micro tho for another project however, but moving along).

Anyway here is the system in question:

MB: Asus P5E VM HDMI / 0505 BIOS
CPU: Intel C2D / E6850 / 3.0 ghz / 1333FSB / 4 MB Cache / 65 nm
RAM: Corsair Dominator 8500 / 1066 mhz / 4 x 1 GB / 2.1 volts (it's NOT the Micron IC kit)
HDD: WD 80's in RAID 0
GPU: HIS HD 4850
PSU: Corsair HX 620
Case: Antec P180 Mini

Cooling:

Antec Tri Cool 120mm Exhaust
Antec Tri Cool 200mm Exhaust

Asus V60 Mini Tower (i've had this forever - it looks so sexy and works admirably).

Ok, here's the deal, i want to sit on 500 FSB with my RAM at 1000 mhz forever, on air.

That's all.

I can do this using a 7 x 500 FSB multiplier for a CPU clock of 3.5ghz and my Dominators running @ 1000 mhz at 5 - 5 - 5 - 15 @ 2.2 volts except that my computer will lock up randomly after 10 or so minutes (or if i launch an intensive game etc).

Now if i push my FSB to 400 giving me a CPU of 3.6ghz and leave my RAM at 1000mhz for a 12:8 ratio everything is rock stable 24/7. But even though my Dominators are rated for 1066mhz they won't do 1066mhz @ 400 FSB. They have no problem with 1000 mhz though and voltages above 2.2 don't seem to help at all.

So it's either my RAM or my NB or SB voltages that are holding me back.

I'd like to first eliminate Voltages before i spend any money on different RAM (grumble, mumble).

So, assuming everything in Extreme Tweaker in BIOS is on AUTO - what should i do?

Note: Spread Spectrum and everything in the CPU specific menu (speed step etc) is DISABLED.

It will post and bench @ 7 x 500 / 1000 mhz RAM on AUTO volts but it's not stable (that's impressive all by itself right?!).

Advice for a SB/NB volt noob?

Owners of this board with experience in OCing this board please assist.

Thanks!

I think it's an issue with the board's memory controller and certain ratios. I thought my Crucial RAM was having issues when I tried to run it at stock settings, but it actually ran higher than that.

I don't believe 500MHz was stable at any settings for me. Certain boards are better than others, however.

I believe I was running 1.6v on the Northbridge. Try 1.45v at the least - see if that helps. Sounds like you are going about it the right way, though. I would fix the RAM volts at 2.2v max, though or cool it if you go higher.

Success.png

Sorry about the CPUz shot - my skin makes it hard to read.

So far so good!

5050 BIOS Limits me to 1.39 on the Northbridge and i'm scared anyway so i put it on 1.37.

Always prefer minimal voltage for OC anyway.

Not sure how stable she is.

To be continued.

Back