P5L-VM, a conroe SFF alternative?

I'm seriously considering buying the ASUS P5L-VM instead of the ASUS P5B-VM for overclocking with a E6300 or a E6400 but I'm not sure if I should go with it or not. The main problem I have is that I already bought my DDR2-800 and I don't want to have wasted $30 returning it to newegg will it work on the P5L?

Also do any of your have experience with this board in general - Oc or otherwise?

Board is : http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16813131046

Thanks!

I feel like if I were to get that, I might as well go all the way in the 945g realm and get the p5ld2-vm for ten dollars more. Hear that hardware compatibility is a lot better. Everything looks better with that board except it doesn't have 1394.

If you want to save some money on a cheaper board thatll still allow you minimal overclocking (same 350fsb zone), theres the p5l-mx from asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16813131041,N82E16813131044

It should overclock the same. That is.. to the 340-350 zone

I have this board and I am pleased. I'm running a 310 fsb because the onboard nic actuall cuts out near 320 fsb and this mobo doesn't have ddr2-800 support. If you want a mild overclock and upgradeability, get the g965 for 125.00 and it will support a Quadcore with a bios flash. I would get Hyper X ddr2-900 and set the mobo to 300fsb.

gwarren007 said:
I have this board and I am pleased. I'm running a 310 fsb because the onboard nic actuall cuts out near 320 fsb and this mobo doesn't have ddr2-800 support. If you want a mild overclock and upgradeability, get the g965 for 125.00 and it will support a Quadcore with a bios flash. I would get Hyper X ddr2-900 and set the mobo to 300fsb.
It's true that it doesn't have the dividers to support 800 at 266fsb. I remember seeing 711 in there.

That's cool about the nic not cutting until 320. I still have to try more to find the points. However, I've already started to move some data over to my new sata drive and am really afraid of corruption. The p5l-mx does indeed support quadcore with the new bios from what I've seen on the asus site I believe.

Is there any way to track what the true pci / pcie clocks are?? I don't feel right clocking up and having pci go down into the high 20s and pcie set to 116+ and not knowing what it actually is. Although, it seems that if you leave pcie set to auto instead of 100, it can handle your overclocks. Still, that makes me uncertain of what it actually is. I wish I knew enough about electronics to be able to take an oscilliscope and measure out the actual frequencies.

I do remember installing windows at 333fsb and then finding that the nic isn't able to acquire an ip or do anything useful.

I tried 300fsb and setting ram to 800 (I have 800 sticks rated 2.1v). I have the volt set to max of 2.0v in bios but it's extremely unstable and crashes as soon as it hits windows. Timings are already at 5-5-5 which is what spd is at 333 anyway for compatibility with initial boots. Perhaps it's not actually 2.0v being fed, or the 945g is just flaky.

I recall trying 711ddr as well at 2.0 with 555 and it still crashed on me hardcore. Not sure what the deal is. Just have it at 266 for the next day or two before I start cranking again.

Also, at 310, do reboots coldstart? I realized when I went to 333 and 349 for initial testing as soon as I assembled the components, it did that, as documented in that xtreme topic.

you can choose between p5l vm & p5ld2 vm rev2.0:
with the later no firewire but 2 IDE connector & raid options , more bios options:
-PCI lock
-Vdimm up to 1.90
-v MCH chipset

whoops. i posted that in the wrong topic. that was for a p5l-mx not vm

Back