P5Q Deluxe CPU Upgrade From E8600?

ballpoint

Gawd
I'm currently very happy with my P5Q Deluxe + Core2Duo E8600 system for games, Flash, Photoshop, etc.. However I think I need more cores as I'm doing increasing amounts of video work with the system as well.

Can someone recommend a CPU upgrade that would allow me to keep my current mobo?

I've been somewhat out of the loop WRT CPU and mobo. I'd like to see if I can just swap in a nice fast four-core or eight-core CPU with my existing components. It's the "new" system listed in my signature...

And I know I'm stupid for only having 4GB in this system. At some point soon if I don't upgrade the CPU I'll at least double the RAM, since I'm using 64 bit with some memory intensive apps like 3DS MAX.

Last edited:
If you're looking to stick with the 775 setup and want quad cores, it's pretty much the Q9xxx series. If you're willing to get a bit less cache, you can always look into the Q8xxx series for a few bucks less.

I don't mind spending a lot on the CPU if I can keep my mobo and ram. Up to $350-$400 or more. But maybe I should start shopping around for a whole new rig.

If you have decent RAM pickup a Q9450/Q9650, both will do 3.8-4.2Ghz. Currently have a Q9450 8GB ram in my workstation and its doing alright still... onlything i really fire the i7 up for is encoding blueray... and i only did that for Avatar... lol

Back