P5W DH Deluxe as Wired Access Point

JayD

Limp Gawd
How do I use my mobo as an access point? I know it supports this feature somehow, but I want to hook my XBOX 360 up to it wired and then let it access Xbox Live through my PC. I don't want to spend $100 on the wireless adapter for it, thats why. Is this possible?

should just hook your ethernet from your modem/router to the board, then another from the board to the box, share the connection, either it should work or you have to disable DHCP server in windows (if it is there) and try to get an IP address assigned by the router, shouldnt be too hard but i havent tried it yet...

I'm also interested in this. I'm buying P5W DH Deluxe soon, and I was planning to buy wireless AP / router, but since P5W has AP option, I thought I could maybe save some money.

Here's the situation - I'll have 3 computers which need to share ADSL connection and files, printers etc. One of them is on the top floor. Can I just buy two additional wireless cards, and use P5W as AP (I suppose I can)? I have some cheap ADSL modem, which has only USB connection - can I just connect that modem via USB to computer with P5W DH, or do I need modem with ethernet ports?

Is that scenario much worse in terms of speed, security etc., over solution with separate router / AP?

Thanks

if i understand you correctly, you have several options. use the p5w as the wireless acces point. buy wireless cards for you other pc's. you will be able to share the internet connection on your main pc, or have the client pc's connect to the internet on their own, thru the wap(probably the better option) wired is always faster, but since you cant do that, this is just as fast as buying a separate wireless router, unless you go for 802.11n and buy 802.11n cards for your pc's.

Ok so you don't need a crossover cable, and you don't even have to bridge the connections to make the xbox 360 get online with xbox live. All I had to so was enable Internet Connection Sharing in the Advanced Properties tab for the wireless card. The problem I have with the built in wireless card is that there is intermittent lag about every 15 seconds. Its weird, but definitely the card because this happened to me with CS:S as well. I have a seperate wireless card from my last rig that I use instead but right now the driver is corrupt and I can't reinstall it with formatting.

Back