P67 will support Ivybridge

6 little paragraphs that just repeat the same bit of information that is said in the title... lol and that damn bug will have nothing to do with this in a month or 2?????

Wow. We'll see about this. Who is Fudzilla.com though? I'm skeptical.

I might be wrong but the p67 is still going to be a limiting factor in the ivy b chips.

I also believe just like p55 vs x58 you will only get advanced features such as quad channel DDR or triple not sure yet, 40 pci-e 3.0 lanes, USB 3 native, and a host ofbother features with the socket 2011.

So the big question is.... Is there a true reason to upgrade to 22 from 32 sdb unless your main goal is more true cores without any extras. I will just wait till new socket cones out and build another x58 style gaming supremecy rig.

Just my .02cents worth!

yeah, you're still stuck with inferior pci express bandwidth, though my guess is they introduce new boards to supplement existing boards which have all the new features anyways. Will they be compatible with existing boards? Maybe maybe not. Not everyone needs the extra PCI express bandwidth so at least it would offer an upgrade path.

you will need a different mobo with ivy cpu's due to a different gpu.

mobo companies want your money too, who do you think is in charge of tech? santa?

btw, when is this thing coming out anyway?

You'll want a quad channel mobo when you get a top end Ivy system Q4 of this year anyway :)

If they had pcie 3.0 on sandy bridge the 22 pcie lanes wouldnt bother me so much

there's not a RAID controller, multiport FC HBA or multiport 10GbE adapter that can currently saturate a PCI-E 2.0 link with bisectional bandwidth. Your GPU isn't even coming close. PCI-E 3.0 is unnecessary but evolutionary (not revolutionary) upgrade from 2.0. The big difference between the two is the addressing scheme and the overhead to do it. PCI-E 2.0 has a 20% signaling overhead and 3.0 is around 1.5%. Even at 20% overhead, the real high bandwidth cards caren't capable of maxing out that link. Your desktop GPUs (and mine) aren't even coming close. In all actuality, we're barely approaching the PCI-E 1.0 spec on link saturation for an x16 connection... which is why PCI-E 2.0 x8 electricals show no performance degredation over PCI-E 2.0 x16 links on multi-GPU configurations.

Last edited:
I know it isn't an issue now but longer term if they allow you to use ivy bridge in the board, you could be using the same setup for 2 years easy. If you ran two mid to higher end gpu's in crossfire/sli 2 years from now it may be an issue. Thinking just gtx260t to gtx580 jump in performance in that time? Also, running 8x/8x pcie 3.0 would just be more peace of mind, plus i need a 4x slot for my raid card.

Seems possible to me, since it's just a die shrink and the top of the line 2600K is only a 600-series part. The current generation i7 goes up to 800-series for mid-range.

Maybe something like this:
(current)
i7 2-500k
i7 2-600k

(future)
i7 2-700k
i7 2-800k

This has been confirmed a few days back.

P67 will only need a BIOS update to support the Ivy shrink.

Seems possible to me, since it's just a die shrink and the top of the line 2600K is only a 600-series part. The current generation i7 goes up to 800-series for mid-range.

Maybe something like this:
(current)
i7 2-500k
i7 2-600k

(future)
i7 2-700k
i7 2-800k

It would be great if this was their numbering scheme:

^^ Need the practice counting, n00b? :D If IB doesn't get me more cores AND a die shrink, I don't think I'll parttake in the die shrink upgrade rampage.

Back