P6X58D-E and Thermalright ultra 120 installation

kalmon

n00b
I just purchased a new motherboard and cpu from newegg. When I try to install the thermalright ultra 120 1366 edition, the support pieces are touching the capacitors around the CPU. Is there a trick to installing these? Asus does have that relatively large heatspreader on the back of the board... I've seen this board and cooler combo listed in sigs so i know there is a way to get it working.

-edit- Clarification
How do I install the thermalright ultra extreme on this board safely?

Last edited:
I found this post by Bop here @ [H] http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035757962#post1035757962 with his TRUE and a P6X58D-Premium...

I have a Venemous X that came today and am waiting on my P6X58D-E, so I'm a bit worried now but hopefully there's a solution...post up if you have any success or not. I'll do the same

I know the TRUE and Venemous X retention brackets aren't the same but it looks like the footprint is

I've uploaded some images to show the problem
IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

I can NOT slide a piece of paper between the bracket and the capacitor in places.

just dremel off the top of the capacitors and the bracket will fit. Furthermore, your temps will be awesome because your mobo won't work, but other than that it'll be awesome! :(

Any chance it fits if you rotate it 90 degrees?

no, mounting the other way has the same problem. :(
The caps on the right side of the CPU are the same height as the ones across the back.

I was hoping that just taking a few small washers and putting them under the bracket would fix the problem but it looks like doing that would reduce contact pressure of the heat-sink on the top of the processor (bad!!!).

From the looks of it I'd need to find an "X" shaped mounting bracket that avoids the capacitors all together. I noticed on the thermalright page the mounting bracket I have is listed as rev2. I've never seen any images of the rev1 brackets. Maybe that is the difference.

-Brian

-Edit- Check out the mounting bracket in the lower left of this image, that is NOT the one I received, but the model says Ultra-120 extreme-1366. The image on the right is what I received.
thermalright-ultra-extreme-1366-cpu-cooler-preview-piotke-24498.jpg
IMG_0420.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. I've decided I'm going to return the TRUE and wait and see if you have any success with the Venomous X and If so I'll get one of those instead.
Looks like I'm going to have $2k worth of computer sitting in boxes for the next 2 weeks while I wait for the return.

I remember mine had a little clearance between the capacitor and supports... Anyway, I switched from a TRUE120 to a Corsair H50 and the temps are about the same (maybe a little better at load) but there's much more room in the case now. You might want to consider it.

thanks for the reply. I've decided I'm going to return the TRUE and wait and see if you have any success with the Venomous X and If so I'll get one of those instead.
Looks like I'm going to have $2k worth of computer sitting in boxes for the next 2 weeks while I wait for the return.

The Thermalright Venomous X fits on the P6X58D-E without any issues, using one with 2 Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm 120mm fans...

I got a venomous RT. It fits fine, feels kinda loose even with that screw in the middle turned tight. It's loose enough that the heatsink can turn slightly even when completely assembled. I'm getting about 70*C while running Prime95 with a 920@3500 and 1.25v. Does that sound right?

Hmm that's odd it's kinda loose I think. Mine felt snug and I didn't torque down all the way. I suppose you could put a washer in there to make it tighter but you don't want to crush the CPU & socket obviously. Only thing I can think of is that the two spring-loaded screws might not be all the way tight?

I'm running my 930 @ 3.4 but haven't added any voltage so it's @ 1.225, on Prime 95 my cores hit 58-61c (1 Scythe fan @ 1400 rpm). Ambient temps have been 68-70F more or less.

I've included a video to show how loose it is. I've triple checked all the screws and standoffs. The center tension adjustment is all the way tight(big silver knob is bottomed out on the bar).

In this video notice i'm only using my thumb and one finger and the whole heatsink moves.

My Venomous is the exact same way: able to be rotated EASILY.

However, it does not wobble side to side or break contact with the CPU. And the core temps stay nice and cool, even under load (its on a i7 860).

Odd design, but seems to work fine.

You know what's funny? That it works if you install the heatsink. :p

I noticed this issue on a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R 2.0 and immediately bummed out because I didn't want to put the stock cooler on while waiting for the X mounting kit. So I loosened the 4 screws, mounted the TRUE, and noticed a very large gap between the capacitors and especially the chokes that was not there previously. I then tightened down the 4 screws and whaddya know, there's a a 1~2mm gap now.

Basically the top piece w/ the 2 spring loaded screws pull up on the bottom plate, thus allowing room for the 2 brackets to lift up above the goodies. I used a light on the back side and tried to push really hard on the bracket to try and touch the choke, but could not. Suffice it to say, it's up and running today and I didn't have to wait! :):):)

I would say the pressure is quite a bit higher using this mount than the LGA775 cross using a massive washer. It's on solid. Not to mention how much easier it is to install w/ the 2 open screws as opposed to the 4 corner screws that were always hard to get around.

Back