P7P55E D-LX, can't get SATAIII to work?

daedal

Gawd
Bought my first SATAIII drive, a 6GB Vertex 3. However, I'm unable to get it to work. Sometimes it appears in the BIOS, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it just stops at the "Detecting drives...."

This is on an ASUS P7P55E D-LX motherboard.

I've set the drive mode to ACHI. Apart from that, I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

[EDIT] Should have mentioned, it works just fine when plugged into a SATA2 port. As soon as I move it to a SATA3 port on the motherboard, it's all over. SATAIII doesn't require a special cable, does it?

Last edited:
I, uh, I got it to work by using another SATA cable. I didn't think there were different types but so far so good.

There aren't different cables for SATA3, but the Intel SATA2 ports are probably just a little more able to deal with whatever flaw was causing the failure. Basically, the other cable was out of specification, but not so much that it couldn't be worked around by the slower controller.

There aren't different cables for SATA3, but the Intel SATA2 ports are probably just a little more able to deal with whatever flaw was causing the failure. Basically, the other cable was out of specification, but not so much that it couldn't be worked around by the slower controller.

Interesting. I'm still using that cable on my storage HDD and it's working just fine. Might have to look at ordering a new set just to make sure. Thanks!

You should stick to Intel SATA2 ports for an SSD, 3rd party integrated SATA3 controllers are crap.

Back